93 External Slave?

I went to the pick-n-pull and found an 1993 XJ with the AX15/231. The 231 was destroyed, so I grabbed the input shaft out of it. I just assumed the tranny was an external slave AX15 and decided not to pass it, and the input shaft up. I got home a started reading that the external did not start until 94. I have never seen pictures of the differences between the internal and external slave cylinders. Here is a few pictures so that somebody can tell me if it is indeed an external slave AX15. If it is an external, should I go back and grab the complete slave assembly? TIA Rich

Yup, thats external...

So go back and grab everything from the front of the tranny forward... Bellhousing, adaptor plate, lever, external slave and hoses(if its got it)...

Then do the right thing and swap it onto yours... Best swap you'll ever do!!!

Ryan

Regger, That is definately an external slave cyl., which according to OEM did not come on "93's, but we all know how that works. Get the slave & master if able, came as unit w/line. No need to bleed!! Can be purchased seperatley aftermarket, but have to bleed. Based on pics, I recommend replace t/out brg. & lube I/shaft. 2.5L is different bell hsg. then 4.0L. Also replace pilot brg. & lube new one.

mjcanoe

Thanks for the help, guys. I went down this morning {I think I saw rdp001 silver comanche} and picked up the slave set up. I also took the vin# off of the XJ. The vin decoder says it is an 1994, so the guys at LQK marked it wrong. Thanks again, Rich

sweet, enjoy the performance and easy repairability of an external slave cylinder.

don't forget, while the tranny is out to swap this one in, is the time to replace your clutch and throwout bearing, as well as the pressure plate and perhaps resurface the flywheel if it needs it.

do these repairs now if needed so you don't regret it later!