Adding AC

What parts are needed?

All of them. From the compressor's engine bracket, to the radiator hose, to all the vaccum lines in the dash and the controller. It's not for the feint of heart and probably best if you can get a donor rig. :(

your dash will have to come out and you have to change the ENTIRE heater box assembly...it's the easiest way.

so find a junkyard one with complete a/c. tear out the dash, disconnect the heaterbod (6 bolts through the firewall and some wires/hoses), save the a/c hoses, get the condensor and dryer, and the a/c pump and bracket.

it's basically bolt in. you may wish to pressure test it before you reinstall it though. not sure how to do that

JohnQ, It is possible. As Pete said get donor mj/xj of same vintage then you will have to R&R dash assy. As mentioned by JeepcoMJ, easier to replace hvac as a unit.Make sure you get control unit as they are different. When the time comes to make it work, after component changes & add ons (condenser, brackets,etc), strongly recommend you replace rec./dryer w/ new or reman unit. Safeguard against trash,moisture, etc. from donor. Also retrofit for R-134A. I'm doing this myself this summer on my '86, tho a little more complicated since I swapped in 4.0 from oem 2.5. I've got to figure best way to route upper r-hose since I kept '86 frt. clip & swapped in a 3 row rad from early '70's Comet. Hope you can do it!

mjcanoe