88 Manche

Picked up this beaut back in March '13. 88 Comanche Elimitantor 4.0 5speed 2wd . Suffered from a cracked head and had been sitting for 5 years in a field with a used head in the passenger seat and a Dana 44 in the bed along with parts. PO started the 4wd swap by swapping in a non disconnect front axle out of a Cherokee. Unknown gears at this time. Cleaned up the cylinders, slapped the head on and she started up and passed good ol' California emissions. Haven't done much to the jeep since I bought it. Just slapped the cooper at's off my old 89 xj which are 30x9.5 which have very good tires. Also swapped in my stereo system. I will post photos once I dig them up.

• 2 months later...

So I finally got around to uploading photos. Here's some of the recent photos.

Image Not Found

After discovering a water leak that was allowing water to pool under the carpet I decided to pull it up. Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Then my clutch pedal snapped its welds.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I wish I could weld this good.

After fixing the water leak and cleaning the carpet really good, I had finally reinstalled it. This time without the insulation so it wouldn't hold water.

Image Not Found

One day I noticed a vacuum leak so I pop the hood to investigate and this is what I find. The grommet was siliconed on for the past 8 months till that day.

Image Not Found

Then I got lucky and found this at the local junk yard that has only one renix era jeep which happens to be an xj. Only costed me 2 bucks.

Image Not Found

Recently I had to pull my dash to solve some wiring issues caused by the PO. Dash lights had be rewired, clock and radio had memory wires ran directly to battery. Clock shuts off with headlights on.

Image Not Found

Here's a good shot of the interior now that I have it back together.

Image Not Found

Some more photos.

Good old throw back Thursday photos for Instagram.

Image Not Found

For some odd reason it high idled at 2 grand, even after replacing the TPS and iac. It went away with wiggling the c101 connector. So I knew it was time to clean it.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

My pride and joys. The manche parked behind the long distance daily driver. Gotta love a straight piped 12 valve cummins on the interstate. Still gets low 20's for its mpgs.

Image Not Found

Then here she is parked next to the '13 jk with 3 inch lift and 33's

Image Not Found

What are the black things called on your headlights? Towards the top? Any idea where I could get some?

Angry eyes. Mine were just spray paint. Currently are removed as I need new headlights. My friends call the manche one eyed willy.

Current plans....... Finish 4wd drive swap with a ax15 and 231. Still on the look out for them. Look out for 4wd shifter and shift gate for 231. Make a home brew cable shifter for the 231. Replace clutch pedal as mine ended up bent after being repaired. Find a good dash wiring harness with a good fuse box out of a comanche. Eliminate the c101 connector. Of course I'll need front and rear driveshafts out of a short bed 4wd comanche with an ax15. Weld perches (soa) and install disk brakes on the Dana 44 I have in storage. Lift front to match rear height from the soa. Get 31/10.50/r15 and a set of d windows with off set. Camo accents on the interior. Front and rear bumpers. Sliders to protect cab and bed side. All I can think of at this time. Will update.

Found more photos from when I first bought her.

Bed full of parts. Had the original 2wd straight axle in the bed. That went off for scrap metal.

Engine parts in the cab.

Engine bay. Yes that motor still runs and runs really good. No blow by what so ever.

Cleaned up the cylinder before putting the head on that was found laying in the passenger seat.

It did pass California emissions testing the next day.

Why the photos end up small, I have no idea.

After 7 months of leaking cork valve cover gasket, I finally had to deal with it. Fel pro blue metal and rubber gasket. Also cut an inch off both the tubes within the valve cover.

Pretty clean under the valve cover.