Sludge

jimoshel

1990 MJ. 4.0. AX15. Was leaking oil from the RMS. Oil would run down back of oil pan and bell housing and drip onto the exhaust pipe where it would burn off, leaving a trail of blue smoke behind me. Unless there was a strong wind blowing from left to right across the highway nobody behind me could see to pass or be closer than a mile.behind me. I didn't mind the smoke but a qt of oil every 50- 60 miles did. Today decided to do something about it. One new oil filter, STP, not Fram, new RMS and a oil pan gasket set and I went at it. Don't know what the PO used to glue the pan on with but it would have been easier to remove if he would've welded it. Hammer, chisel, screw driver and putty knife and it finally came off. Bent the lip up so bad not sure if it's re useable or not.

I haven't seen so much sludge and crap in a pan and pick up screen since 1950 when I tore a flat head engine apart from a '34 Ford.

really curious as to what a end of a tie wrap was doing down there.

I wiped the screen kind a clean before I thought to take any pics. It was almost completely stopped up.

Suggestion. I used Permatex gasket remover on the pan and block. That stuff really works.

You trying to be funny?

:D

The zip tie is kind of a neat stow-away. First 4.0 pan I dropped had a small handful of pennies in it!  :eek:

... Got a package in the mail for ya. Should be there in a week or so.

Thanks, dude!

The zip tie is kind of a neat stow-away. First 4.0 pan I dropped had a small handful of pennies in it!  :eek:

Pennies is new....Buddy of mine had about a 1/2 cup of sand come out of his 88 cherokee with the first oil change....probably has to do with why he had compression in the high 80s on 4 of his cylinders.

Found out where the Zip tie came from. The engine has a block heater. Somebody used a zip tie to hold the 110V cord onto the oil pressure sending wire. The end got caught between the gasket and block. Tie got brittle and with the vibration broke off, falling down into the pan.

At least the oil strainer and filter did their job. All the oil passages and bearing surfaces were clean. If I had another hour of daylight, I'd had the sucker back together and running tonight.  :yes: