4-4.5" Bastard Pack Info

Trying to build a low budget wheeling rig and I'm looking for bastard pack info. I tried using the search function to find threads and couldnt find anything.

Is there and easy to build 4-4.5" bastard pack

Or should i just do a spring over and figure out how to drop the ride height and inch. Really don't want to go over 4.5-5" of lift since i don't want to deal with control arm angles up front.

Anything past 3in really REALLY needs to have so kind of control arm angle correction. Unless you have new rear leaf springs, 4.5-5" of lift is probably what you will end up with doing an SOA.

Bastard packs are used a ton, but i have never heard of someone gaining that much lift from one.

They are the factory(or atleast factory age looking springs)

I'm gonna toss on some aftermarket control arms but really don't want to use drop brackets. I ran a 4.5" lift on my old xj and it rode fine without drop brackets but i did have adj. upper and lower lca's on it.

Bastard packs are used a ton, but i have never heard of someone gaining that much lift from one.

The 4" lift that was on my '88 MJ when I bought it used a single, short AAL on each side to generate 4 inches of lift.

Rode like a ... truck. But it can be done. With a couple of longer leaves from something like an older S-10 or Dakota, maybe even YJ Wrangler (anything that's spring-under), it should be easy, and would have to ride better than a single, stiff, short AAL.

• 2 weeks later...

For a bastard pack look for spring under vehicles with 2 1/2" springs. Some of  my favorites are Dakotas, S-10, front Wagoners, and some older p/u's. But you will probably get a max of about 3 1/2". Anyway that is my experience with an '86' Comanche. I've opted for spring over on one of my other Comanches and it worked nice.

Yeah i really want to avoid a AAL.

What do you think a bastard pack is? It's a stock spring set with one, two or three add-a-leaves.

You can build up a custom leaf pack with as many leaves as you want -- or as many as you need to get where you're going. My Javelin autocrosser originally had three leaves from the factory -- I spliced in a second set of Javelin springs and ended up with either five or six leaves on each side (don't remember which). It still rode okay -- a lot firmer than stock, but I prefer that -- and handled great.

Many years ago I had a 1947 Hudson 1-ton pickup. I have no idea how many leaves were in the springs, but it was at least twice as many as the other two Hudson pickups I owned. They were so stiff that it didn't have shock absorbers -- and didn't need them, because [a] the springs didn't deflect, and that many leaves generated enough friction that they were self-damping.