D44 axle removal

creekscout, D44's do not have "C" clip retainers. Axle held in @ flange with retaining oplate like AMC 20's. Keep in mind their are 2 seals. One between retainer & brg, one seated in axle tube. You may need a slide hammer puller or could use pry bar against backing plate while gently tapping on back side of hub flange, they will dent if to much force used.Never a bad idea to change diff fluid @ this time due to contaminents & age. Usually every 25-30 k depending on local temps.

mjcanoe

It is a '92 metric ton. So both seals are at the axle end of the housing? I was surprised years ago when working on my '87 cherokee front axle seal replacement to find the seal was in near the carrier and required a special tool to remove it and to install it.

creekscout, From the hub flange looking in to center of axle, there will be a retainer that bolts to axle flange w/ 4 bolts. Then the outer axle seal with lip pointed inward, then the brg, followed by a retaining collar. I usuallly replace brg w/new unit as it is easier to cut off then press off, which often distorts brg. cage. Reassemble or have shop do it, do not use a big hammer. It can damage brg. race surface. The inner seal can be removed w/ a pry bar & install new one w/proper size driver or socket, pipe,etc. Make sure you lube seal surfaces & pack new brg with quality grease as it is seperated from diff lube due to inner seal. hope this helps, not that bad to do. D30 frt. axles do have their seals located @ inside of axle tubes.

mjcanoe