Front axle

I noticed several members have mentioned swapping in a non-disconnect D30 into the front of their MJ's. What's everybody have against the disco axle?

I prefer the disco axle, not only is it high pinion, but the CAD allows one to manually disconnect the pass. side axleshaft, a great combination with a front locker. I run a Lincoln Locker in the front and it's completely invisible on the road, it's my poor-man's selectable locker :lol: Can't beat the traction offroad.

Not only is it just-one-more-thing-to-break, but they have the smaller U-joints. Upgrading to the later model shafts allows use of the Dana 44 size joints. But if yours works for you, then there's certainly no need to change anything.

Jeep on!

--Pete

I don't necessarily mean the shafts themselves would break, but the mechanism that shifts them has caused countless headaches for MJ/XJ owners over the years. The biggest issue is most certainly a lack of maintenance on our almost 20 year old Jeeps, but it's a fact of life that most owners don't think about axle lube and vacuum lines until it's too late. 95 YJ shafts are a good upgrade, but finding one in the junkyards can seem impossible, where-as solid shafted XJs are everywhere. Aftermarket shafts exist, but if the owner can afford them, they might as well just get a regular locker.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I recommend the solid shaft conversion, my intent is making the owner's life easier as well as making the truck stronger.

Jeep on!

--Pete

I know where you're coming from, the same CAD is used on all YJ's. You have to really know how to troubleshoot the system to keep it functioning properly, unless you convert to a cable. Then it's a cheap way to spool the front for the ultimate in traction and reliability.

The only complaint I have with the disconnect on the YJ is that sometimes it won't come out. It only happens once in a while but on occasion I have to pull the vacuum lines and that will let it come out.

I agree tho that it is a good axle, if you upgrade to the bigger 297x u joints. It would allow for a Lock right or a spool up front with no adverse affects for on street driving unlike the non- disconnect axle. The only way to put a spool there is the $1000 manual hub conversion. And unless you have no choice, that is WAY too much money.

The only reason I am putting a non disco axle in my MJ is because I already have it and don't want to go searching for one. :D That and it is being converted to 4wd. If it had the disco axle in there I would just put the cable select in there and be done, with the 297x upgrade at the same time of course.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...