Help Wiring A Push Button Start Kit.

There is ZERO upgrade here.

There is "EZ THEFT" here.

Regardless of what you intend to use the vehicle for, you have now made WAY more work for yourself.

You have also negatively affected resale value of your truck. There aren't many people out there who would be willing to buy some hack's wiring nightmare.

Send the switch assembly back. Go and buy the $13 saginaw steering wheel lock plate tool and a 3 jaw puller (both of which will come in useful more than once), and go to the junkyard, pull an ignition switch tumbler from a parts car, and put it in yours. check youtube for a how to and you will come out ahead of the game. You'll also be able to pre-emptively strike @ the common tilt column wobble, if you have tilt, since you're in there.

I nominate this idea as the Worst Jeep Mod Ever

This would be pretty easy to do (and safe) if you use four toggle switches to mimic the ignition switch positions and use the same wires to the toggle switches as designed. You would need three single pole switches for the OFF, ACCY, and RUN positions, and one momentary contact switch for the START position. If you don't use the original wires from the ignition switch as designed, you would have to install relays to disconnect the devices that are normally shut down while cranking the engine in the START position. That will put a nice heavy load on the battery.  :yes:  But who knows what your universal "kit" is. Good luck, and test all positions for shorts before connecting the battery. Or most likely smoke will happen.............

It just occurred to me that the reason there are two switches is that the protected one is a "power on" (a bit like a kill switch) and only sends power to the other two.

The "starter" diagram on page 21 is helpful, but you might want to try the "power distribution" on page 8. Looking at that diagram:

JGacFGc.png

You've got five wires at the ignition switch:

RED: 12V in

Orange: Apparently goes to power windows and the clock?

Yellow: Gauges and engine controls

DK GRN: The starter signal wire

BRN: your horn, interior fan, cigarette lighter, radio, turn signal, wipers... etc.

Depending on what you want for "ACC", I'd connect the brown and orange wires to that switch, although it looks like the stock position is just the brown.

For "RUN", I'd go orange, yellow, brown.

for "START" you want the dark green.

You'd of course be taking power to all the positions from the red wire.

Thank you for all the information! I think I will be able to knock this out with the help of that now.

after looking at this again, If I don't have a working clock and I have manual windows I shouldn't have to worry about the orange wire correct?

There is ZERO upgrade here.

There is "EZ THEFT" here.

Regardless of what you intend to use the vehicle for, you have now made WAY more work for yourself.

You have also negatively affected resale value of your truck. There aren't many people out there who would be willing to buy some hack's wiring nightmare.

Send the switch assembly back. Go and buy the $13 saginaw steering wheel lock plate tool and a 3 jaw puller (both of which will come in useful more than once), and go to the junkyard, pull an ignition switch tumbler from a parts car, and put it in yours. check youtube for a how to and you will come out ahead of the game. You'll also be able to pre-emptively strike @ the common tilt column wobble, if you have tilt, since you're in there.

I nominate this idea as the Worst Jeep Mod Ever

To start off. The jeep is parked in a garage when its not on the sand. Second, I never plan to sell the jeep in my life. I have already put way to much money into it that I could ever image to get back. Third, Its my jeep..... Its up to me what I want to do with it... :dunno: 

4th, you apparently like to fix things the incorrect way, with cheap parts.

That sounds pretty...unfavorable...to me.

This is actually a pretty common mod, especially in tuner circles. Most of the time it's not even fixing something broken, it's just done for the heck of it. Obviously Zebvance knows that it could be easier to steal, but to be fair, most thieves wouldn't automatically assume it's got ignition switches other than the lock cylinder, and thus it might simply perplex them and they'd give up when a screwdriver in the ignition cylinder doesn't do anything.

As far as cheap parts go and this being "incorrect", well, I can't speak for the quality of the parts having not seen them, but is it "incorrect" to modify your vehicle?? Why all the negativity?

Honestly, it's your jeep, do whatcha want. But wiring wise, wouldn't it make more sense to wire like this:

DK/Green -> push button (aka starter)

Yellow-> left switch (kill switch)

orange, brown->right switch (acc)

This way, you go left to right to start. Turn on left toggle, which starts fuel pump and necessary equipment for starting, hit button to start engine, then right toggle to engage accessories after motor is running.   Your accessory position would be right switch only, and everything else off. 

4th, you apparently like to fix things the incorrect way, with cheap parts.

That sounds pretty...unfavorable...to me.

I would think my build thread speaks otherwise...... And your negativity is pretty "unfavorable"

If you can't fix it correctly, you are going to spend more time to do it wrong than it will take to just do it right.

This is about as good of an idea as how most "custom" DIY radio install people install their stereos....with wires twisted together and taped.

The push button ignition has merit, if you were going to do a NICE job of it and do it along the lines of newer cars with their RKE signal that enables the all-in-one push button starter. The setup you have is going to make painfully obvious to people that the key is disabled, and is as simple as flipping a switch.

All I can say is that this is almost exactly what we've got on the racecars we build, although we didn't get some big fancy kit to do it (our switches are smaller and much lighter). Are you saying we're doing it wrong?

DK/Green -> push button (aka starter)

Yellow-> left switch (kill switch)

orange, brown->right switch (acc)

This way, you go left to right to start. Turn on left toggle, which starts fuel pump and necessary equipment for starting, hit button to start engine, then right toggle to engage accessories after motor is running.   Your accessory position would be right switch only, and everything else off. 

This looks like a better idea than what I was thinking of. 

Yeah, I'm with gogmorgo. I don't think this is the 'right way' to do it if you were trying to restore the truck or use it as a DD. But for a garage kept crawler? Who cares? It's not my job to be his mom about how he mods his rig. 

You do you, good luck, and I hope your rig doesn't get stolen. On that note, you could easily drop in a key cylinder with your switches that just enable/disable the starter or yellow wire? Hide it under the dash or mount in plain sight even. 

Something like this: http://www.jcwhitney.com/standard-ignition-starter-switch/p2019019.jcwx

I know that O'Reillys sells a basic one for like $10-15. Just my opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...