what donor 30/35 combo to fit under MJ?

hey gang,

well, i got the interior i want ... now onto getting the exterior looking the way i want it.

I'm planning on doing a Rubicon Express 5.5" lift (or using that as a basis and piecing it together... depends where and when the money comes in).

Since I am doing this on a daily driver, and plan on running 33's when I'm finished, I was thinking of getting a pair of donor axles with 4.10 gearing and welding up the back with the SOA perches.

My question is: what donor axles would be the right fit for the MJ? Does a TJ front D30 fit or do I need to stick to the XJ/MJ front's? What about the rear? I know the perch width of the XJ D35 is different... but anything else i would need to change.

Thanks alot.

God Bless,

Ben

If you want 4.10 range gears from factory, I believe one of your only easily found options will be from a 2.5L TJ, either way, theyre going to have to be ground down and new mounts welded on, front and rear.

Depending on where you're at, Ive got a set of axles that might interest you.

4 cyl late model XJ.

You don't want a D35, it's pure crap.

The late model 96+ 8.25 from an XJ is 29 spline, and comparable in strength to a D44.

The TJ front axle will work, but I believe that the TJ's were low pinion, which will cause your driveshaft angles to suck. it's not as strong either.

I say your best bet is to find a 96-00 XJ, with a 4 banger.

From what I have learned the TJ will be LP and not a great choice. I would go to car-parts.com and find a D30 with 4.10’s and for the rear I would go with the 8.8 with disc brakes or the 8.25. And I would agree to leave the D35 alone. You can find most of your axles at a fair price on car-parts.com

Good Luck

Watson

YJ D30s are also high pinion, but of course they are set up for leaf springs and would require a lot of fabrication for use in an MJ. Any XJ front axle through early 1999 will be high pinion. I know the 2000 and 2001 XJ are low pinion ... not sure, but I think the change was a running change mid-year in the 1999 model run.

yea don't bother upgrading axles unless you're putting something worthwhile in. if you're going SOA anyways in the rear, it would be about the same amount of work to put an 8.8 rear end in, with the exception of having to do some brake lines.

I would say go with a 4.10 dana 30 non-disco front end from a cherokee, but reinforce it's mounts and such while you have it out, and a explorer 8.8 disc break rear end. make it a truck worthwhile...

i GUARANTEE that if you're running 33's on a dana 35 rear end, as Eagle has said before, it no longer becomes a question of IF the rear will blow, but WHEN.