Mounting Tool Box

Bought a new tool box for the mj yesterday, the kind that sits on the floor between the rails...not sure how to mount it since the fuel tank sits against the bottom of the bed...best idea so far is to put a 3/8" rubber spacer between fuel tank and bed and bolt up through the floor that way, to protect the tank...any better ideas out there?

Not enough information. A pic would be nice. Will the top of the TB be above, below or even with the top of the bed? How much, if any, clearance is needed for the lid to open, close. Any chance of using braces between the top and bottom of the bed and attaching the TB to them?

Not enough information. A pic would be nice. Will the top of the TB be above, below or even with the top of the bed? How much, if any, clearance is needed for the lid to open, close. Any chance of using braces between the top and bottom of the bed and attaching the TB to them?

Was posting from my phone..couldnt figure out how to add pics.... :hmm:

This is the box just sitting in the bed. Thats roughly where i plan on mounting it. 

Got an old semi truck mud flap to use for rubber spacers, about 1/4" thick. Plan on putting two strips, one on either side, under the tool box and bolting through it, to inhibit vibration and rubbing against the bed. Box won't rust, but rub the paint off the bed and it will. 

Underneath i was thinking use 2 pieces of mud flap, one on top of the other, as spacers between the bottom of the bed and top of the fuel tank. That way the bolt heads won't rub against the tank.

Link to toolbox from tractor supply:http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tractor-supply-coreg%3B-full-size-single-lid-chest-46-1-2-in-black

Lid is 47 1/2" wide, 17" tall, and 20" deep. Has the cut out on the back to clear bed rails, or in this case my headache rack

Think outside the box ......measure center to inside of frame rail ....then drill away and not worry about hitting the gas tank . The rubber spacers sound like a good idea if you use nyloc nuts ( or lock-tite ) to address the compression   issue . :thumbsup:

Think outside the box ......measure center to inside of frame rail ....then drill away and not worry about hitting the gas tank . The rubber spacers sound like a good idea if you use nyloc nuts ( or lock-tite ) to address the compression issue . :thumbsup:

Hardware I'm using is 3/8" grade 8 bolts with nyloc nuts...have a jar in the garage of em...

Ended up doing lots of measuring, marking, more measuring, and ended up with the bolts right above the frame rail. Worked out really well, drilled 2 extra holes that i plug welded and smoothed back down...pics later when i get back to my laptop

Pics time

Drilled on the pass side where i planned on putting the bolts, to stay away from tank and see how it would fit up...looked underneath, relocaked the holes to right above the frame rails. So i had 2 extra holes that needed to be dealt with...here's the solution.

Plug welded them using my little 90amp flux core welder...not the prettiest, but they cleaned up nice. Work in a structural steel shop, they use ceramic strips with foil tape to back a hole theyre going to plug..flat chip off of a brick worked pretty well for me!

Cleaned up the holes with the grinder...intentionally over-filled the holes, makes blending lines a bit easier.

Cleaned up and primed...not perfect, but overall I'm happy with how well i was able to keep the bed rises intact. Not going to do too much more with it, bed liner (when i finally get around to it) should fill up any uneven spots nicely. Plus, its hidden by the tool box.

How she looks, headache rack is painted, need to put some rubber between the racks feet and the bed rail to keep it from rubbing and promoting rust. Box is bolted in, rubber spacers underneath.

Oh and the rubber I'm using is just cut sections from an old semi truck mudflap. Dad picked one up for me from one of his customers.

Pretty happy with how the truck looks!