Transmission Swap

The A904 trans and NP207 or NP228 transfer cases from 84-86 XJ's and Mj's with 2.8's will bolt in and not have any electronic controls. The A904 can be a good trans if properly rebuilt. There are a couple of upgrades that can be done to them to increase reliablity and shifting feel. It is a light duty version of the TF 727 from Chrysler and the A904 was offered behind Chrysler 6's and small V8's as well. The biggest issue would be getting the crank sensor to work with it. I'm not sure what autos were available behind the 2.5 's. I asked that same question in another thread with no response.  

Some (very very few) 2.5s had the AW4 behind them, which is probably the most reliable transmission ever offered in the Jeep lineup, but most automatic 2.5s had the A904. Be warned, an automatic 2.5 truck will be an absolute dog no matter what. If you're converting to an auto, look for an AW4. Not sure on the bell housing you need though.

Comanche fan:

My '86 truck originally had a 2.8 that died spectacularly years ago. The auto tranny is attached to the NP207 in the bed of the truck. Send me your clutch parts (pedals & stuff) & I'll pack this tranny & 207 in an envelope & send them to you…

Where are you anyway?