Engine Dying Out When Going Downhill

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try running it, then jiggle wires to try to narrow down which ones make it stall or die. Then trace them. Electrical problems are the biggest pain in the world. This is why I have 4 or 5 vehicles and multiple motorcycles too. One, two, three, four, if they all die, I still have transportation and don't have to be so anxious about fixing them. 

I just got rid of my old cat and muffler. Now sporting a thrush welded and no cat. The cat was literally exploded on the inside and the muffler could hardly breathe. I'm thinking this was part of the dying out. I'm working on the cranking problem tomorrow. So I can actually hear the exhaust. When I try to crank it, tick comes from the relay that the small positive battery cable goes to. Could this be why its not cranking? Otherwise I think its the ground wire on the starter.

I believe the solenoid only has to do with Starting the vehicle, and it's usually attached or next to the starter. The CPS is at the top of the transmission, and a real pain to get to. You pretty much have to drop the tranny a few inches and use very long extensions as well as a U-jointed socket. You may find more reliable info if you search for CPS or Crank Position Sensor in the Forum Search option.

Everything seems fixed now. The copper plates inside the starter were gunked up. Starts perfectly now. And the clogged exhaust is what made it die out. Goes straight back to 750 rpms when I press the clutch in. And I really recomend the Thrush welded muffler, sounds gorgeous! Thanks for all the help guys :D

Wow, I've never had that much problem with an exhaust system before, or heard of a gunked up starter. Interesting. Glad you got your driver figured out. Now get another vehicle lol. Even if just a motorcycle. I personally plan on getting a large amount of pleasure cutting out my cat when I put my truck back together.

Kinda hard to get a vehicle as an unemployed 16 year old xD The cat was literally exploded inside. And the muffler was puffed out from lack of air flow. And I have an oil leak coming from my filter, drops right on the starter. I just have to get one place welded and its done.

Well, glad I called it when it was my last, not to mention rough, guess. Never had a cat clog before, but I know I'm removing every one off every vehicle I have since emissions disappeared here last year. Stupid things.