Np231 Chain

Stacks

I was doing some work on my TJ cuz I'm selling it.  Had everything fixed except the transfer case issue. It wouldn't stay in 4wd.  It felt like the chain was slipping.   :eek:   Checked the linkage for proper adjustment and that was fine. So... out it came.  The photos below are what was found.  This is what a 231 xfer case chain should NOT look like.  New chain is on it's way and is somewhere between here (north Idaho) and upstate NY.  There is slight evidence of the chain contacting the case lightly and also the pump filter.  Replacing the filter.  I got the TJ with 73,000 miles on it and it has 196,000 on it now.  So, in all honesty, the chain was long past due for being replaced!!  When that is completed the 'Forest Mouse' will be heading for his new home later this week!!  Yup... I'm like a lot of the rest of us... I name my vehicles!!  :laughin:  Have a good week everyone!!! 

Later,

Larry

[/url]">

[/url]">http://s160.photobucket.com/user/kg7rq/media/DSCF0009_zps8f487bd0.jpg.html'>

This is said kinda 'tongue in cheek'... voluntarily playing in the mud has become a no-no for me. I'm still cleaning mud and grass out from under the TJ from my last session... in 2006.  Even after taking the pressure washer to it many times!!!!  :rotf:    

Hmmmm.... instead of an idler pulley... how about an adjustable chain tensioner like Honda used on their cam chains on some bikes????  :idea:

The idea of taking a link out has interesting possibilities but...  the extra work of having to add a scatter shield above the case to protect one from the shrapnel when the fix broke and the chain wadded up and turned things into a mini-claymore just seems like time spent that could be spent wheeling instead of fixing.  :banana:

Dual tensioners???  One top... one bottom... so you're covered forward and reverse!!  :rotfl2:

In stock form the TJ 231 does not have a bolt on yoke.  Yes I had a SYE on mine and a Tom Wood's drive shaft.  This may or maynot show my ignorance but what alignment pin??? 

I watched a youtube video that was about the 231 and shows a pic in the middle there the chain is I can see the hole on your but no pin, I'm not pro just noticed the difference...cuz I would not think the chain should ever be that stretched... looks like it missing and has alouded  it to be loose its the pin the shif fork goes on, but really I don't know... but never know if you don't ask

I'm pretty sure this is what the chain my '01XJ looks like.  Since I've had the Jeep there has always been a clunking noise when I'm cruising along and step on the accelerator to maintain or gain speed.  Pretty sure that clunk is the slack in the chain.  Always wanted to break the transfer case open and replace it, but was never sure if you could just buy the chain by itself - good to know you can.  Mind if I ask how much the chain set you back?

I got the chain from CSE Offroad in Holmes, NY, link below. Cost was $56.10 and free shipping.  It was an Alloy USA chain. 

If you have ever had a chain jump/skip on a bicyle or motorcycle it creates a jerking in your motion.  Mine sounded click like  a moderate clicking along with the jerky motion.

http://www.cseoffroad.com/11650.html