Hard Start Up In The Morning

O.K., here is the update.  I have refreshed all of the grounds, including the tail light ground.  I went back today and even removed the dipstick ground stud (aptly named by the way) and cleaned the mounting surface on the block and the back side and front side of the dipstick mount and the back side of the stud, itself and reassembled.  I disconnected all of the electrical connectors and sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner.  Also, my wife used to do ceramics and had a small, 1/8", nylon spiral brush, like you would use to clean a rifle barrel, only smaller.  It was perfect for cleaning the female end of the connectors.  You might find one at Walmart in the craft section or Hobby Lobby.

I was going to upgrade the sensor grounds and remove the wire splices, but for some reason my 2.5 did not have any splices in the brown with white tracer wires.  They were solid all the way to the dipstick stud.  That may be a 4.0 thing.  I checked the sensor grounds per Cruiser's Tips #5 and got 0.00 ohms with no fluctuations at all.

On to the CPS.  I voltage-checked it per Cruiser's instructions #7 and got 3.3 to 3.5 volts, so I replaced it.  It's much easier on a 2.5 with a 4 speed manual transmission.  I could easily reach my hand to the bolt heads while laying on the ground and didn't have to use an extension longer than 2 inches.  I voltage-tested the new CPS and it gave off 5.3 to 5.5 volts. 

I hooked up everything and started the engine.  It took the obligatory 4 to 5 turns of the crank shaft, but otherwise started right up.  I'm not sure if the problem is fixed, or at least I'm not completely trusting it quite yet, since it would start sometimes before; only time will tell. 

I will post again after a couple weeks and let you know whether it is really fixed or not.

Thanks for everyone's help, and especially Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips.

Tom

Hi, Cruiser,

The old CPS did not look like a magnet with metal dust on it, if that's what you mean.  The metal tip was a little rusty, but that's about it.

I did not drill the upper mounting hole after I didn't find the ground splices, because I was afraid that might only apply to the 4.0s, and I didn't want to ruin a $32.00 part.  Since I am getting 5.5 volts, do you think I need to remove it and drill the hole?

Yes, I removed the braided strap and refreshed the grounds on that as well.

Thanks,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Guys,

It has been a couple of weeks now, and I would like to report that the problem seems to be fixed.  Renewing the grounds and connections was a good idea, but I think the real problem was a weak CPS.  As I stated earlier, the old one was producing a little over 3 volts, while the new one is putting out 5.5 volts.  Thanks to everyone who helped on this, especially Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips.

Thanks,

Tom