Jacking Up The Front Of The Truck

May be a dumb question, but better my pride suffers than the axle tube..

Truck is a 4WD 4.0L automatic.

I need to raise the front of the truck to work underneath. To date I have only jacked up one side at a time with the floor jack and yes, I use stands when under the truck.  Can the front be lifted up by jacking in the middle of the front axle tube or do I risk bending the axle tube. Is there a better place to position the jack to raise the front end. Floor jack is a 3 ton high lift model so no problem with capacity or height.

May be a dumb question, but better my pride suffers than the axle tube..

Thanks

You shouldn't have any issues lifting from the middle, I do it all the time on anything from Jeeps to full size trucks if I just need to get the axle off the ground.  The only issue with that is it teeters side to side if you plan on going up any good amount.  If you are lifting it up pretty far then what I usually do is lift it up one side at a time (as Casper2000 said) and place jack stands under each side.

I put my floor jack under the pumpkin section all the time with no ill efects. On the fron, with it being so offset, sometimes I put the jack behind the lower control arm mount at the frame. This lets the springs droop vs. jacking at the axle, but just depends on where or what you are working on.