Where To Get Backing Plate For D44

Where can I get backing plates for D44 with 10 x 2½" brakes? Mine are rusted out. Anyone know of othe axels I can take backing plate + brakedrum and fit it on a D44.

Maybe D35 with 10 x1 3/4" ( pre c-clip ) will fit with use of all brake parts. Anyone have some ideas about this?

Converting to disk brake is not an option because diske brake rear end are scare here and cost a fortune at bone yards, and most of them only have european and japanese junk.

The d35 stuff won't be a bolt on but I think it could be made to work. IIRC the bolt pttern is the same but the hole in the center of the backing plate will need opened up larger. Then you should be able to use the entire D35 brake assembly.

Where can I get backing plates for D44 with 10 x 2½" brakes?

Maybe D35 with 10 x1 3/4" ( pre c-clip ) will fit with use of all brake parts. Anyone have some ideas about this?

Won't work.

My '88 Cherokee has the 10 x 1-3/4" brakes. The first time I did the brakes, the parts house sold me 10 x 2-1/2" shoes, and the drums wouldn't go on. Once I realized what was happening, I thought I was onto an easy way to upgrade my brakes, so I tried fitting a 2-1/2" drum I had from another Jeep. Still wouldn't seat. The 2-1/2" backing plate has a slight offset toward the centerline of the vehicle compared to the 1-3/4" backing plate. The drum hung up on the lip of the backing plate before the flange made contact. Won't work even with the 1-3/4" shoes.

A friend in AZ told me a long time ago he used rear drums and backing plates off an old Ford Crown Vic police car, but those have been rear disc for so long the drum brake parts are just as hard to find as the Jeep parts.

If you have nothing and need to be able to drive the vehicle, you can use the complete 1-3.4" brake setup, but you'll have to run it with the 1-3/4" shoes and drums. That's really not the end of the world. The front brakes do at least 60 percent of the work, and probably a lot more. Unless you routinely haul a full payload, I don't think you would ever notice the difference.

Thanks Eagle, that was what is was thinking off. Have made some measurements of the D35/10x1 3/4 backing plate and drums and the offset looked ok.

The reason I need changing is my original backing plates are all rusted out and new costs a fortune. A friend bought new ones and they cost him $193 each ( special order from US ),

and I have collected a few D35 over the years for cheap money, some broken but with good brakes.

You are lucky in USA to have cheap parts and a lot of junk yards with cheap stuff. Here in Sweden a D30 front axel without drive shafts and knuckels cost $ 200-400 and drivshafts about $ 150 each, if you can find

a j.y. that have any. Used front brake calipers $ 80-150 each and so on.

But I will newer give up on my american cars, have been driving them for 40+ years now.