Header Question?

Renix (87-90) 4.0s have the O2 sensor in the manifold, HOs (91-92) have it in the downpipe just after the manifold. The HO header may work for you, but you'll need to drill a hole/weld on a bung somewhere for your O2 sensor.

it is more involved than that... (I too have an 88' 4.0 liter)

The header will fit the head but the renix intake manifold will not bolt on after the header is installed.

You have to go to a later year intake manifold (I am not sure but I believe some port matching work is advised also)... which means many other things need changed and addressed. all of which are good (ie bigger throttle body better cold air intake options etc, and will all make you more power) but it is far more involved than bolt it up and done. The TPS sensor has to be addressed for one (there is a good DIY conversion write up that is recent and good), and if I am not mistaken the later year fuel rail assembly inlet is in the rear (your present renix fuel rail inlet is in the front) meaning you have fuel lines to re route etc.... I too ordered a 91/92 gale banks header thinking the only difference was the 0-2 issue and I could easily get around it for the time being..... The Banks is still in the box ...after having the 0-2 bung welded in. It opened up enough things that needed to be addressed (and cost $$$ I did not have at the time) I ordered a pacesetter header and put it on in the mean time so I could move forward with the replacemnet of the exhaust systerm pipe cat muffler and get bucky back on the road..... I will after the truck gets back from the paint shop. install the banks and upgrade the rest of what is involved when I can take the time and money to do the job correctly.

Perhaps I made too general a statement..... the flange (both configuration and thickness) on the header posed a problem with getting the renix intake to fit.

With grinding It would have probably been ok. I went with the Banks header specifically for the design of the thicker flange (to give more material to port match to the head). It was originally bought for a stroker going into my 87' when that project was front burner....

I did not want to mess with the header significantly ( new cost was $ 425.00 before the 0-2 bung was installed) and risk not having it work with the (at that time) intended upgrade to an HO stroker.

I do not know if other brand HO designed headers would have a similar problem. My issue was (I assume) based primarily on the flange of the banks specific design....

and your comment about the EGR was something I was unaware of as well....thanks.

I have been told the only one still in production that is a straight up bolt on for the renix era 4.0 liter is made by pacesetter. (that is what is on my 88) I think it ran a bit over $ 200.00

I had one on my 89" cherokee that I intalled in the early 90's made by Borla.... but is was $$stainless steel and I do not believe is is still in production.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about swapping new stuff w/ old stuff will chime in.

I have been told the only one still in production that is a straight up bolt on for the renix era 4.0 liter is made by pacesetter. (that is what is on my 88) I think it ran a bit over $ 200.00

I had one on my 89" cherokee that I intalled in the early 90's made by Borla.... but is was $$stainless steel and I do not believe is is still in production.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about swapping new stuff w/ old stuff will chime in.

I hope so but thank you i for coming in i was just about to order that header and you saved me alot of head aches