89 Mj Will Not Start

My 89 MJ is 4x4 and automatic. At first the battery was goning dead. So I figured battery or altenator. Had battery checked out and it was ok, but I needed one for my XJ anyway. I bought the gold top Duralast. It fired right up after putting the battery in there. Then I went out one morning and it wouldn't start. It would turn over. So we pulled the altenator and had it tested at a alternator shop and it came back fine. It has a brand new rotary button, distributor cap, and spark plugs as well. Are there any suggestions out there as to what it might be. Sorry for the long description, but I wanted to hit all the details. Any help will be appreciated guys.

We actually got it to fire, but tried it again later and same issue. See at first the battery would go dead about every week and then would stay charged. So we got a new battery. Mainly because if it wasnt the issue I still need a new one for my xj as I stated early, so it wasnt a loss. We tested for the spark when we changed the plugs and even pull the fuel line. Really has me baffled. As I stated in some of my other post I am not a mechanic nor do I claim to be one so if it seems like a dumb question i apologize for that. Would the starter be the issue.?

How are your battery cables...alternator wiring...grounds? The battery cables can look OK on the outside and still be corroded / old / &%$#*ed up on the inside and down at the engine ground. Are all your connectors on the battery in good shape? Have you verified the fuel pressure with a gauge instead of just "pulled the fuel line"?

When you say you have spark, is it a snappy blue spark or is it a yellowish kinda weak spark...makes a huge difference. Could even be a dying coil or ICM.

By the way, if you pull the fuel line at the disconnect on the fuel rail...it's reccomended that you replace the o-rings and re-use the spacer. Use the schrader valve on the fuel line instead of yanking the line off.

Have you checked or tested or cleaned out your CPS and associated wiring, connectors? Kinda sounds like you need to refresh all your connections...there's usually more involved in a no-start than just the battery and the alternator (and/or starter motor).

As far as the choice of battery...the Duralast Gold you got is fine. I've been running those for years in my rigs, I refuse to spend the extra over-rated money on an Optima. I read about guys spending a shizzle load of money on the Optimas only to have them crap out well within the warranty period. Like out on the trail, in the woods, on vacation, at the beach etc. etc. (when you need it most!!!)

Look for Cruiser54's Mostly Renix tips...connector refresh...ground refresh if he doesn't pop up on the screen within the next 30 seconds. :thumbsup:

I had this problem for a year read the cruiser tips and added two grounds bought from napa, while there bought a fuel pressure regulator have had no problems thus far. To get it back running you could try starter fluid in the air filter this was the only way i could get it running for that year.

If the starter makes the engine turn over ("crank") when you turn the key, obviously the starter is NOT the problem.

Beyond that, there are three things needed for an internal combustion engine to run: fuel, air, and gas. Air is a given, inless there's a mouse house between your throttle body and the intake ports. You say you have checked for gas, but do you know the injectors are squirting? have you tried the old tried-and-true method of simply pouring some gas directly through the throttle body and then trying to start it? If you have spark, it would pretty much HAVE to start if you do that.