Fsm Caution

87MJTIM

I was looking on Ebay for a Jeep Factory Service Manuals (FSM). I found one from a company in OH. The cover of the FSM was "1984 - 1987 Comanche". The years had me wondering because the MJ came out in '86. I figured since the XJ went through a change in '84 and that was what the MJ was built off of, I thought there would be overlap. So, I ordered the FSM for $89.

I received the FSM on a Friday. I started to look through it that evening. The first thing I noticed was that the 4.0 engine was not listed in the table of contents. I looked through the sections on the engines. It detailed the 2.5, 2.8 and diesels. I also looked through the sections on manual transmissions. It covered the AX4 and AX5 but not the BA10.

As I continued my scanning of the FSM, I noticed that the table of contents did not match the sections. The section on engines, section B, was listed in the ToC as going up to page B-278. However, the last page in the section was B-240. Then began section C. Also, where topics were supposed to begin actually started on different pages.

The pages looked like they were photocopied from another source. Text that was close to the page margins were cut off. Some pages were slightly tilted.

I decided that I was going to return the FSM since it didn't cover my MJ and the other discrepencies in the text. I needed to get authorization before returning it.

I called on Monday to say I wanted to return it. The man on the line asked my why. I told him that it did not cover my engine and transmission.

He asked me: "Are you sure you have an '87?" :???: :???:

Now, my (future)wife bought the MJ new just out of college. We have the original invoice and window sticker. They both say its an '87, Have I been lied to for 25 yrs? What else is my wife lying about???

I politely told him that it is an '87.

He said: "Well that was when Chrysler was taking over, so Jeep was just putting in whatever was available." :dunno: :dunno:

EXCUSE ME? Judging from the manual they sent, I don't think it was Jeep that picked up whatever was lying around.

Let's see how long it takes for my refund.

The guy is jerkin' your chain. Maybe he's just ignorant, but I don't think so.

I bought a Cherokee new in 1988. It was ordered in late 1987 and delivered to my dealer mid-January of 1988. All the paperwork said AMC/Jeep. Chrysler didn't "take over" until several months later in 1988, and there were no Chrysler production changes until the 1990 model year.

For both the Cherokee and Comanche up through 1988, the FSM is actually the 1986 FSM and it includes in the main book the 2.5L 4-cylinder (carburetor version), the 2.8L V6, and the diesel. There were add-on, separate books to cover the 4.0L engine, the BA10/5 transmission, the NP231 transfer case, the NP242 transfer case, the AW-4 transmission, the 4.0L fuel injection system, the 2.5L fuel injection system, and the electrical wiring.

There were add-on, separate books to cover the 4.0L engine, the BA10/5 transmission, the NP231 transfer case, the NP242 transfer case, the AW-4 transmission, the 4.0L fuel injection system, the 2.5L fuel injection system, and the electrical wiring.

Where can I find these add-ons?

I knew that Chrysler did buy AMC until late '88. My F-I-L had an '89 MJ. Most of his components were stamped Chrysler, but there was at least one AMC component on it.