Xj Hand Brake

Has anybody swapped the XJ hand brake for a MJ foot brake? If so, is there a write up on it?

Remember that parking brake swap we did so I could have a worthless unit to cut up?

Parking Brake Paint Detail Top

gallery_1_12_272013.jpg

Parking Brake Adapter - Cut the entry point for the parking brake cable off the MJ firewall brake mechanism and bolted it on. The distance from there to the cable holding matches perfectly. (Note: I ended up adding a second bolt hole to stiffen the adapter.)

gallery_1_12_206845.jpg

Cut off the hump that normally sticks down through the floor pan since it is unneeded.

gallery_1_12_51790.jpg

gallery_1_12_172219.jpg

Alexia'

Remember that parking brake swap we did so I could have a worthless unit to cut up?

Actually no. Had forgotten all about it until you joggled my memory.

So far I've gone thru 3 pedal assy's and 2 cables.

You got one assy. I repaired one and 1 is on the shelf.

I replaced 1 cable and fabricated one. Anyway with the MJ stock diminishing and the XJ stock plentiful it seems obvious.

Thanx for the pix. Let you know how it turns out. Jim

Ok here goes, this is something I've attempted searching for a time or two. Matter of fact I got as far as cutting a hole in the floor of the 87,

taking an XJ handbrake bolting it to the floor and was going to attempt adapting the 8.8 cables to the hand lever.

Now my questions:

1. First pic is of a WJ (Grand Cherokee) hand lever? and the piece that was cut off of the MJ assembly (I get that part).

2. Second pic is of the WJ MJ pieces fastened together.

3. Bottom side of the WJ lever assembly that is not needed.

Am I to understand that if I used this method,

I wouldn't have had to cut a hole in my floor, and I would be using the stock MJ e brake cable coming into the cab in the

stock location, and would have been stock from the exterior of the cab back (except for the 8.8)?

OK how do I add the smiley of me beating my head against a brick wall?........

I believe me and 64 Cheyenne was thinking the same. Mount the XJ handle on top of the hump same as in a XJ. Alexia has mounted it under the dash, if I read her post correctly. Wonder if she could show a couple pics covering a wider area of it installed. I remember the older cars had the brake handle under the dash.

Am I to understand that if I used this method,

I wouldn't have had to cut a hole in my floor, and I would be using the stock MJ e brake cable coming into the cab in the

stock location, and would have been stock from the exterior of the cab back (except for the 8.8)?

OK how do I add the smiley of me beating my head against a brick wall?........

This is the XJ lever. That is correct, it just bolts to the floor and you use the stock MJ brake cable from the brake handle to the splitter outside the cab.

gallery_1_12_63440.jpg