Taps And Dies - What Sizes?

I haven't worked on any of my vehicles for at least ten years, but I'm getting back into it. My 1987 MJ and 1996 XJ will be my vehicles of choice.

I no longer own any taps or dies and I want to get set up with the common sizes.

I'm sure someone here has some suggestions. :-)

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate those of you who share your experience and knowledge.

The Harbor Freight ones are fine for occasional use chasing threads. When one you use more often gets dull, buy a good quality single to replace it with. No need paying well over $100 for a bunch of sizes you will never use. My HF set is still about 75% HF, the rest has been replaced over time.

The Harbor Freight ones are fine for occasional use chasing threads. When one you use more often gets dull, buy a good quality single to replace it with. No need paying well over $100 for a bunch of sizes you will never use. My HF set is still about 75% HF, the rest has been replaced over time.

The reality is that we rarely to never have to actually tap a new hole or thread a new rod, we're always chasing rust and/or burrs out of existing threads ... and nothing destroys dies faster than chasing rusty threads. I'm doing this now on the threads for the caster-adjusting clevises in the lower control arm pockets -- cleaning up the threads so that maybe I can have a fighting chance of getting the flange nuts looses without snapping the studs. Did one side yesterday, I'll do the other side as soon as I get a chance.

I think the Harbor Freight sets are ideal for this, because I don't feel nearly as bad chewing up a cheap Chinese die as I would abusing a good American die that way. And we really don't need top quality for chasing out existing threads anyway. Heck, I just checked the Harbor Freight web site. Those 40-piece sets are on sale for $14.99 right now. At that price, if you destroy one tap or die it's almost cheaper to just buy a whole new set than to go out and buy singles.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tap-die.html?dir=asc&order=price

IT wouldnt hurt to get the HF set. I have a MATCO set, but I got the 144pc for 100$ I couldnt pass that up. I would never pay 400+ they are asking tho. And as stated when you replace them just buy a better make of tap/die. It will be easy on the pocket and if you eve need them that much it will be worth it.