Pulled My Carpet Out Today

Well I pulled my carpet out today as advised by Pete M. What I found was not all so bad I do not think. I found less than eight small rust holes. All of them smaller than a dime and most smaller than a eraser on a pencil. I am thinking my best coarse of action here is to use a wire brush and then Ospho everything. From there I thought I would follow up with a treatment of POR15 or some Rustoleum rust bare metal primer. What do you guys think? Am I heading in the right direction? What would you use to cover the small rust holes? How does it look compared to most? Thanks Pete for the warning in your Sig.

I thought this looked pretty good. That is with no cleaning. It was pretty wet under there. The padding was wet for sure. Not really sure why. I am guessing just age and maybe a window left down at some points along the way. The PO had had someone to make a second carpet kit at some time and they literally just put it over the original. So there was two layers of carpet and the backing pad of course.

Your floors look almost production line perfect compared to what mine used to look like. I haven't used Por-15 but guys I know who have say you can just about lay newspaper over the holes and coat it to seal the floor. Newspaper may be an exaggeration, but I would think fiberglass cloth would work. You'll probably get several recommendations from forum members who swear by it.

The padding was wet for sure. Not really sure why. I am guessing just age and maybe a window left down at some points along the way.

the more likely cause is a leak. Our trucks are prone to them and the cause could be ANYTHING that could possibly leak. from the firewall, to the windshield, to the door seals, to the rear window. find the leak before putting the carpet back. :thumbsup:

If you're going to por it, you can put tape underneath so the por lays flat, then remove tape once the topcoat is cured and you're ready for the underside.

With the small amount of rot through on your truck, this would probably be the easiest solution.