Dana 44 Limited Slip Options.

Recently I serviced the rear D44 in my Comanche and found that I have an open carrier. I would like to add a traction adder but, the cost of aftermarket lockers both selectable and automatic and limited slip diffs are absurd. I don't want an automatic locker because of the poor handeling charicteristics and I don't want a spool or Lincoln locker, this will be my DD when finished. a selectable or limited slip will suit my needs best. So, has anybod got any experience swaping a factory limited slip from a JY out of say the Honda pasport or Isuzu, mabe a Dodge or Ford? Any info like compatibility with the case, spline count, gearing would be helpfull. I have searched my local JY's for Comanches and and XJ's. I have found only 2 MJ's and neither has a D44 and looked under at least 100 XJ's and found only 1 D44 and it also had an open carrier. Options.....

Thanx

Eric

Eric,

Not sure why you are so against automatic lockers? I have run one - a Powertrax No-Slip - in my TJ for the last 5 years. Yes it gives me a bit of torque steer, which is worse in a short wheelbase vehicle than in a longer one like the MJ. The only time it bothers me is making tight turns on paved surfaces such as a parking lot...some times it doesn't want to disconnect. Other than that I have no complaints. It is absolutely invisible at highway speeds and woks perfectly offroad. The Spartan and the Aussie lockers are both cheaper than the Powertrax and have been getting good reviews from other Jeeprs on the bcjeepclub website. Your other option is to find a complete Ford 8.8 from an explorer, lots of them came with limited slip. They are the same bolt pattern but the spring perches are probably in the wrong place.

Hey Dude,

I had a lunch box locker in my TJ as well and I did not like it at all, more than once in the snow in 2WD it spun me. I will likely go with a lunch box in the front as I have and plan on keeping the CAD, Cad makes a lunch box prety much a selectable, but I also plan on doing some towing and don't want to risk the locker engageing or disengaging at the wrong time. A limited slip is completely seamless and again even the lunch boxes are a bit on the expensive side. The LS in the Honda/Isuzu are high quality made in america parts and that should last a long time and can be had at many JY's........ cheep.

P.S. I'm not giving up my 44 for an 8.8.

Thanx

Eric

I know you're looking for something more inexpensive, so I hope you don't mind me giving my experience.

Years ago when I was deciding what I wanted to do in my XJ for lockers, I was convinced to try out a Detroit True Trac in the 44 I was swapping in. For about 5 years it was my year round DD and wheeling rig here in New England. First on 31's when I put in the lockers, then on 33's, and then on 35's. The True Trac never let me down. Being gear driven I didn't have to worry about additives, no clutch packs to worry about, and there were no bangs, pops, ratcheting, etc like with auto lockers. Nothing against auto lockers, I've driven rigs with them as well, but I much preferred the True Trac for both on road and off. It was still plenty aggressive for wheeling, but not so aggressive like full lockers can be that I was worried about breaking shafts or ring gears, even on the 35's.

I have a Trak Loc carrier in my MJ D44 from a Honda Passport. As long as the carrier comes from a 30-spline axle Dana 44, be it from a Honda, Jaguar, Isuzu, or whatever, they are all the same. If you get one from a junkyard be sure to replace the clutch packs as you don't know it's history and they are usually shot anyhow.

There are two Trak Loc carrier flavors depending on which R&P gear set you use. The Dana part number for 3.07-3.73 gears is 73613. For 3.92 & up gears, the p/n is 73854. This is stamped on the case. Since my Honda carrier was for 3.07-3.73 gears and I wanted 4.10 gears, I just bought "thick" cut 4.10 gears so I could use the numerically lower ratio Trak Loc carrier.

That's prety much my thoughts Rocker, But again the Truetrac is, if memroy serves is like $450.00 but a rebuild kit for the trac loc can be had for $75 from Quadratec. I could rebuild a Trac Loc 6 times before the cost caught up with the Truetrac. I like the gear driven aspect of the Truetrac and it looks like a great piece of equipment but still a bit cost prohibitive. I have no intention of using an auto locker, a selectable would be nice but $800.....Damn.

Thanx

Eric

Thanks Hornbrod, that is what I was looking for..........

What about a selectable locker that contains Trac Loc? I will be installing the carrier from a TJ Rubicon rear axle in my MJ D44. I found it for around $300 shipped. It too is actually a 3.07-3.73 carrier and will require the thick cut gears to go 4.10 (just as a factory TJ Rubi is). It is direct fit with the exception of one carrier bearing that needs notched for the Rubi airline to pass by. Can't find a rear TJ Rubi carrier? You can use the TJ Rubi front carrier in the rear as well if you are ok with a simple selectable locker (no trac loc).

That's prety much my thoughts Rocker, But again the Truetrac is, if memroy serves is like $450.00 but a rebuild kit for the trac loc can be had for $75 from Quadratec. I could rebuild a Trac Loc 6 times before the cost caught up with the Truetrac. I like the gear driven aspect of the Truetrac and it looks like a great piece of equipment but still a bit cost prohibitive. I have no intention of using an auto locker, a selectable would be nice but $800.....Damn.

Thanx

Eric

Thanks Hornbrod, that is what I was looking for..........

Trac locs are great. I'll bet if you toss one in you'll be very happy with it. Great for DD and most wheeling duties if you're not looking at big tires or low gearing.

For me they weren't going to cut it. I'm a fan of low gearing. I was also going to 4.88's and used my XJ for rock crawling. Guys I knew with Trac Locs said they weren't nearly aggressive enough. The True Trac was actually pretty aggressive for a LS. If I stayed into the gas in a tight turn the rear would stay "fully locked" and I could lift a tire clean off the ground. Scared a few friends watching me do it more than once. I wasn't gentle on my rig at all, so durability was a big thing for me. With the 4.88s and 31's I was snapping stock front shafts and u-joints. Upgraded to alloys and 33's, then cracked an alloy shaft. Upgraded again and then went to 35's and then decided to sell the axles. Found out after pulling them I had blown teeth off my ring gear with the 35's. During all that, the rear end with the True Trac still looked as good as the day the gears were set.