Fuel Nada...

When I turn the key on I can hear the pump prime but then it shuts off and I hear the relay click in the engine bay.

The fuel filter has been removed but there ain't nuthin coming out. I would expect the pump to keep running and splooge gas everywhere with the filter removed?

What gives?

1990 Comanche, 4.0

Jumper power to the ballast resistor, the pump runs and fuel flows into catch container.

Questions;

1. When turning key to ON, how long is relay energized if no start is attempted?

2. Is relay re-energized when cranking engine?

3. Does ECU energize relay to supply power to ballast resistor when engine is running?

I'm thinking;

1. 2 seconds, just to top up fuel pressure.

2. Yes.

3. Yes again.

If my assumptions are correct, 1. is good but pump does not run long enough to pressurize system (we have been sitting for a very long time), have to check on 2., can't check on 3. cause it won't run ... yet.

First step, re-install fuel filter and jumper power to ballast, pressurize the system.

• 2 weeks later...

The hose between the pump and the flange on the tank unit can very well be bad.

Exactly, the outer layer of the hose had rotted away, the clamp was loose and it disconnect it's self...

New pump and all better, it runs, time to get on with getting all the little nit noids put back where they belong. :banana: