Oil Filter Adapter Bolt

I'm trying to stop oil leaks above the oil pan to see if my rear main or oil pan is leaking. Have the later model valve cover ready to go back on with the "new" Fel-Pro gasket and the distributor gasket ready to be replaced.

But - I can't seem to break the bolt on the oil filter adapter loose to change the o-ring(s). Doesn't want to turn in either direction. It has a 5/8" head (5/8" wrench) and i've had a box end on it with a cheater and still can't turn it. Could it be left hand threads? Any other ideas?

I can put more pressure on it but don't want to break something unnecissarilly.

Not left hand threads. Use a longer cheater.

I can't get a standard 1/2" drive socket and pull handle on it because one of the motor mount bolts is in the way. Had a 5/8" box end on it with 1-1/8" x 1-1/4" box end "hooked" on the other end (about 18" - 20" effective length) and it didn't move at all.

Read on jeepforum (thanks - danbyrambler) that the bolts were installed with red loctite. I'll be looking for a piece of pipe about 3' long.

Neat thread on the site about eliminating the adapter.

The key to removing anything that's had red Loctite on it is heat. You have to heat it up to loosen the bond. If you have oil leaks, obviously an open flame (torch) is probably not a good idea. A heavy duty soldering gun or electric soldering iton might to it.

This might help - came across it awhile back - I have not tried it - Good luck

http://www.jeepforum...erokee-1162291/

That has never really caught on. I think it's because the oil filter ends up getting punctured by engine movement/bracket interference.

And that seems to happen while wheeling and being real far from a new filter and oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Archimedes said "Give me a lever and I will move the world" (or something to that effect).

Cruiser54 said "Use a longer cheater" (basically, same thing).

Longer cheater worked - the oil filter adapter is off!

I ordered the adapter gasket (o-ring) from Advance and got one large o-ring. The adapter takes two - larger diameter inner (against the block) and smaller diameter under the big washer head bolt. Matched the smaller one up at NAPA.