Which Is + / - ? Horn Related

Apologies in advance for the crappy sound-quality my phone delivers. :ack:

Decided to make a video of my question instead of the long-winded speeches I usually do. Relates to the horn; I also didn't mention in the video that if needed, I can cut into the wires to find out which is the hot one / negative one. I don't really want (Read: Like) to do it that way though, but If I have to, I probably will. :ack: Thanks.

uCrymMpV0UQ

I'm thinking both wires contact at the same point. All the horns I've seen that are jeep ground through the bracket. Those that are not jeep horns have two distinct contact terminals usually separated. From the video it appears both wires are coming out of the same contact, so my guess is one loops over to the passenger side for a high-low tone dual horn set up.

I do not have the second wire at the plug, I do however have the second plug on the passenger side so mine maybe spliced further up. I'd be willing to bed if you pulled that plug off the horn there would be only one male connector on the horn.

I'm thinking both wires contact at the same point. All the horns I've seen that are jeep ground through the bracket. Those that are not jeep horns have two distinct contact terminals usually separated. From the video it appears both wires are coming out of the same contact, so my guess is one loops over to the passenger side for a high-low tone dual horn set up.

I do not have the second wire at the plug, I do however have the second plug on the passenger side so mine maybe spliced further up. I'd be willing to bed if you pulled that plug off the horn there would be only one male connector on the horn.

You would be correct on that Skidoo. I took another look at the passenger side and, as fate would have it, the other horn is MIA eek.gif and my guess is that it's the Low tone horn (before I swapped wheels, the horn still on there had that high, whiney tone :ack:)

Good thing I picked up 2 spare horns then. Oh well, I had to remove the front header panel anyway to clean up some of that headlight wiring the PO did. I'll post back if I can get everything working.

One last question: Does the wire running to the column have constant power running to it? Just so I can know which to splice into to run it to the toggle switch on the dash.

You would be correct on that Skidoo. I took another look at the passenger side and, as fate would have it, the other horn is MIA eek.gif and my guess is that it's the Low tone horn (before I swapped wheels, the horn still on there had that high, whiney tone :ack:)

Good thing I picked up 2 spare horns then. Oh well, I had to remove the front header panel anyway to clean up some of that headlight wiring the PO did. I'll post back if I can get everything working.

One last question: Does the wire running to the column have constant power running to it? Just so I can know which to splice into to run it to the toggle switch on the dash.

The switch in the steering wheel is powered by the accessory circuit. My assumption is however that there's a relay somewhere that the horn button activates. simply because the hokey switch in the steering wheel would not support the current of two horns. If it's not setup through a relay I'd set it up through one if I were in the process of redoing them.

Napa shows this as the horn relay for an 89 http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogIt ... 0273791734