2.8 swap

I'm getting ready to pull the busted 2.8 from my '86 MJ. I have a 2.8 from a '91 S10 I was going to drop in but got to thinking and that's bad. I should never think. Makes life harder for me when I do. Anyhooo I got to thinking a 3.2 or even a 3.6, from a 2003 Buick or Cadillac might be better. I have almost no experience with later model FWD machinery. Can a FWD be installed in a RWD reasonably easy or not? I would like to find a complete donor and keep the later FI with all the wiring harness,computer etc,.etc. If that doesn't happen then I will swap the FI for the earlier carb set up. Any help or thoughts appreciated. This should be posted in the classified but since I have your attention, I will post it here. Wanted to trade, One of my XJ,ZJ, WJ or, shudder, MJ for a donor with what I'm looking for. At least be within a days drive of me. :dunno: :wrench:

I think a better option would be a 3.4 out of a early 2000's camaro.

They are rwd.

Same basic block as your 2.8 and has been done many times over the years. Would be a nice performance and reliability swap.

I think they were somewhere around 200HP.

Do some searches as it has been done many times.

MancheKid86 posted this link the other day...

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Pro ... ect_XJ.htm

You're correct of course. Read, studied, Manchekid86's link thoroughly. I thought it was well written and very informative. Also several other write ups in a couple other Jeep forums, dealing with Cherokee swaps but applicable to MJ'S. I finished reading a write up on the Buick, Caddy 3.6 and my mind jumped the track. Still willing to swap a Jeep 2.5, 2.8, 4.0 5.2 or 5.7 for a 3.4. :wrench: :D

The 96 3800 Camaro swap Pat did on his 86 was a wonderfull engine in that truck. In my mind it should have been the engine for all S-10's as opposed to the 4.3. It was not a direct bolt in and there were many issues to overcome but in my opinion was a perfect engine for the truck. Fuel mileage was in the mid 20's+ and no stock 4.0 could come close to catching it.

A very involved swap and there are not many RWD 3800's to be had so,,,

opsled

The 96 3800 Camaro swap Pat did on his 86 was a wonderfull engine in that truck. In my mind it should have been the engine for all S-10's as opposed to the 4.3. It was not a direct bolt in and there were many issues to overcome but in my opinion was a perfect engine for the truck. Fuel mileage was in the mid 20's+ and no stock 4.0 could come close to catching it.

opsled

One thing I remember from that, is that it ate AX5's for breakfast. If I were going this route, the dakota 2.5 bellhousing and AX15 would be a must have.

opsled

One thing I remember from that, is that it ate AX5's for breakfast. If I were going this route, the dakota 2.5 bellhousing and AX15 would be a must have.

I got the Dakota bell housings and the AX 15's. Anybody got a 3800 they can let me have? :D

opsled

no, it sipped gas for breakfast, ate ax5's for lunch, and dana 35's for dinner.

if I had been a lighter footed driver back then, I would not have had as many issues. live and learn I guess.

speaking of...it needs to be back on the road. Jim, if you want to do that swap, fly me out there after the 22nd and I'll give you a hand :cheers: . in exchange, I need an 86 mj to drive home to donate it's body to the diesel lol.

opsled

no, it sipped gas for breakfast, ate ax5's for lunch, and dana 35's for dinner.

if I had been a lighter footed driver back then, I would not have had as many issues. live and learn I guess.

quote]

Can you say the word "understatement"????

I think it took him about a week to pull the rear diff cover off because of noise. He showed me a mit full of busted spider pieces and asked what I though would cause that.

I told him that comes from smoken 31X15 tires on an open light duty diff.

He just said "oh" and walked away to fix it.

This was Pat's first Jeep. I would have had a hard time keeping my foot light too at that age. It hauled.

opsled

I have an 86 XJ with a 2.8 with every performance option possible including a Comp cam,Crane rocker arms,500cfm Edelbrock 4barrel,Edelbrock Torker intake,Headers,MSD 6A,MSD BLASTER COIL,and so on.In other words it's built to get as much power out of this lil engine possible.I have to admit it's peppy....but....I also have an 87 MJ that I swapped a 4.3 Chevy boat motor in it and it's like night and day when comparing power and speed between the two.My lil MJ is a beast and the 2.8 Cherokee is "ok". My 4.3 marine engine is rated at 224hp..I don't know the power output of the built 2.8 but it ain't no where near the 4.3..Keep in mind the Cherokee is heavier than the Comanche but trust me I much prefer the power of the MJ.