filling coolant

I got an 87 4.0 , I just changed the radiator hoses, I filled the block up with a gallon of AF and a 2 liter bottle of water. How do I know when i have enough fluid in there ? I filled the bottle full so it can draw it in...is there anything else I should do here...I'm new to this no radiator cap system....Thanks , Dusty

you have to "burp" the block. Most people do this by parking on level ground and then unscrewing the temp sender. Located on the firewall side of the engine beside the valve cover on intake side. It has a single wire going to it.

Once unscrewed you add fluid to your tank until it starts to run out at temp sender, put the sender back in, then fill the tank about 1/2 full. close cap and check it in a few days.

another ways is you can start it and run it to temp. leave cap off. wait until warm. shut off and wait there will be a point when a vacuum is created and the motor will suck more fluid if you prevent the tank from going empty you can accomplish burping it this way. then fill tank half way.

Youll want to get the back end of the truck up in the air to burp the system. since the engine sits in there at a rearward angle you need to get the air pocket to the rear.

after you get the truck set, pull the sensor out than fill the system from the pressure till coolant starts flowing from the sensors hole. ;)