New Floors/dropping fuel line?

Hey folks,

A very gracious friend has offered to help weld in my floors (while I am recovering from a pinched nerve) My question is, I assume you have to drop the fuel line? I have not had a close look at how they come down from the side of the truck. Any info would be great.

-Erin

The fuel line is fairly close to the floor on the driver's side. I purchase a "Velvet shield" welding blanket that's rated to protect nearly anything and it did a good job when I put floors in the '87. I use it to wrap fuel tanks when welding exhaust systems anywhere in the vicinity of one. Granted I try to keep the welder as far away from fuel containing objects as possible but, in certain circumstances (the last weld when the exhaust system is in place) there is little choice.

I used a pre bent pan and it can up the side of the centre hump about 3" above the fuel line (XJ) so we just kept a eye on how close we were. I think we may have even used a wood block to push it away from the body.

The fuel lines are held into place with plastic clips that also hold the rear brake lines. Pry all of the clips off the truck and move the lines away from the welding area.

I had a buddy offer to weld in ly floors. Once they were in, I think he regretted the offer as it was far more work than he imagined. He was compensated well.