AC not keeping up with the heat.

So I have the stock AC system in my 1988 Comanche, but it only seems to blow cold air if its not too hot outside. Since my truck is generally parked in the sun this is a problem. It always seems to blow lukewarm-hot air. Any ideas why?

Needs recharged. Low on freon.

Mine is not working now.

Can you even get freon now? Not sure. You can get the 134 stuff, but I don't know if you can get the old stuff these trucks require without converting them.

So I have the stock AC system in my 1988 Comanche, but it only seems to blow cold air if its not too hot outside. Since my truck is generally parked in the sun this is a problem. It always seems to blow lukewarm-hot air. Any ideas why?

Check to see if the heater blend air door is closely completely when the temp knob is moved from hot to cold. You can observe from under the passenger side dash while moving the knob. You'll see it has a stop on the housing under there.

Okay so when I get my hands on the R12 how do I recharge it?

If you have to ask, you're probably not qualified. No offense meant.

Does your AC cycle on and off quite frequently?

Why not check the easy stuff first and check the blend air door?

Okay so when I get my hands on the R12 how do I recharge it?

You don't. R12 can be serviced only by licensed technicians. Anyone who sells (or gives) you R12 is breaking Federal (and probably state) law.

Call local repair shops and ask if they still service R12 vehicles. I have seen a few shops around me that do it. The prices are slightly higher than R134A, probably because of all the hoopla and paperwork they have to go through to be licensed and obtain the stuff. I believe a R12 recharge was $55 at the repair shop near me, to give you a starting point.

The recharge may get you by for the rest of the summer if your A/C still works somewhat, but these are CLOSED systems, meaning if it needs to be recharged it's because its leaking. A lot of places will try to sell you on a stop-leak substance but in my experience, it never works.