CABOVER CAMPER

All,

I have read every post about the pros and cons of a cab over camper in the bed. Since most of the posts are old I wanted to see if anyone has any new insight or experiences. I got a deal on a Skamper 72s. Low profile but when cranked up it is 6'4" inside. Weights 1050. I was going to add bags at a minimum and maybe the heavy springs. I have the 4.0 and Dana 35, Long Bed. I don't want to give up my truck (But A/C be nice) but I like the camper also. I do not plan heavy off road with camper but rather looking to head out to fishing areas paved and gravel. The guy I got it from had it in a toyota tacoma with no issues. Any new insight is appreciated. Rick

While I have no experience with a cab-over camper I do carry a heavy shell on my longbed. Even with that I experienced increased body roll. I think as a minimum you should install a fresh set of Metric Ton springs for the extra weight and a beefier anti-sway bar up front, like from a ZJ V8 model. Maybe some heavy duty shocks all around too especially if you still have the originals. I don't think bags will be necessary if you do these things.

Oceanic815 has put a rear swaybar kit on his MJ and liked it, he sent me a link but the link no longer works.

I picked up one of these: http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... ts_id=1292, but I did not get it from Motion... I bought it directly from Addco for $189 +shipping which came to about $205 delivered to my door. I like Motion, but their $30 mark-up and random shipping rates are a bit much for this item.

But about the item, it really stiffens up the rear. I have a 3" lift so I had to mount it higher on the axle so the links would be at as close to a right angle as possible. It reduces flex, but does help the handling by having the bar... my rig feels like a completely different vehicle with it. It took maybe 45 minutes to install with the provided instructions and a socket set.

Oceanic815 has put a rear swaybar kit on his MJ and liked it, he sent me a link but the link no longer works.

Those rear sway bars only work on SWB MJs because of the different location of the shock mounts in the SWB vs. the LWB.

Those rear sway bars only work on SWB MJs because of the different location of the shock mounts in the SWB vs. the LWB.

is there not a kit for the LWB MJs?