Interesting problem almost opposite to what Minuit posted on his truck cutting out. 1994 XJ. 4.0, auto.The first 2 or 3 times turning the key to start, the engine turns over but doesn't fire. After several tries it fires but dies immediately. This happens several times. After doing this a half dozen times the engine will run for 1 or 2 seconds and die. This goes on half a dozen times, each time the engine runs for a second longer. Keep the foot off the gas. Pushing the gas pedal kills it instantly. After 5-10 minutes of this I can finally give it some gas. It revs up good. Taking it out on the road it runs good, shifts thru all gears good, hits 85mph, was still winding out but I backed off, holds a steady 75-80 with no miss. Once it's warmed up there is no problem. Always starts and runs first try. Just does it when cold or been sitting awhile. Throws codes 12, 24, 14, and 55. Swapped the tps, the IAC and the MAP with another XJ. The trouble stayed with the original engine. The second Jeep ran good with these parts. Getting the proper voltage at the plugs, +5VDC. When I got the Jeep home I found 1 used and 2 new CPS on the floor, and looks like a new one on the engine. Apparently the PO tried to fix it himself, with no luck, which is why he sold it. Any and all ideas solicited and welcome. :dunno:

Should have stated in the first post. At the fuel rail, 25psi switch on, engine not running, 22-23psi with engine running.

These numbers are not correct. The pressure is 35 PSI. Not sure if that error was due to a typo or a brain fart.

Jim... isn't that fuel pressure about half of what it should be? I'm basing that comment on my '97 TJ pressures. It runs 44-46 psi at an idle and about 42-44 key on but not running. I believe the FI is basically the same for your '94 and my '97. The ASD sounds more likely. The low fuel pressure may be a different issue. Just a thought to ponder.

Later,

Larry