Dual Exhaust on 89 4.0 MJ?????

I am thinking of going with a single inlet/ dual outlet muffler to get the dual exhaust look. Any ideas on which muffler would be the best? I do not want it to sound like a Honda Civic and I know it won't rumble like a Mustang, but I am looking for a deep tone. Any advice is appreciated.

I've screwed around with my exhaust system many times and it took awhile to get it right. The stroker has a Mike Leach header and I tried both the "quiet" Flowmaster (series 44) and a Dynomax. While the Dynomax was marginally better than the Flowmaster, both had unbearable resonance and droning @ 2000 RPM or so that drove me crazy. My friend runs a muffler shop here in town and he thought the droning was mostly caused by the header output being strangled by the single 2-1/4" exhaust pipe. We ended up installing a Walker SoundFX muffler with a single 2.5" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets and running separate 2.5" exhaust pipes out the back. We also replaced the HI-FLO cat with a stainless Cherry Bomb. This did the trick; absolutely no droning and just a slight notch above stock in sound level for normal driving. However, when you get on it at WOT, it barks pretty good, but not obnoxiously loud. The system also made decent gains on the dyno across the entire RPM range.

See what you think of this. Single 18", 2 1/4" in and out generic glass pack with a home built splitter after it. Large diameter pipe after the splitter will help get a much lower tone.

Later,

Larry

IMHO, the ONLY muffler that sounds better behind a Jeep 4.0L than a stock muffler is from Gibson. All the others are just obnoxiously loud.

:thumbsup:

Do they make one with a dual outlet? I like the look better than just the one pipe.

I've screwed around with my exhaust system many times and it took awhile to get it right. The stroker has a Mike Leach header and I tried both the "quiet" Flowmaster (series 44) and a Dynomax. While the Dynomax was marginally better than the Flowmaster, both had unbearable resonance and droning @ 2000 RPM or so that drove me crazy. My friend runs a muffler shop here in town and he thought the droning was mostly caused by the header output being strangled by the single 2-1/4" exhaust pipe. We ended up installing a Walker SoundFX muffler with a single 2.5" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets and running separate 2.5" exhaust pipes out the back. We also replaced the HI-FLO cat with a stainless Cherry Bomb. This did the trick; absolutely no droning and just a slight notch above stock in sound level for normal driving. However, when you get on it at WOT, it barks pretty good, but not obnoxiously loud. The system also made decent gains on the dyno across the entire RPM range.

I've got a similar problem with my single outlet flowmaster. I don't know what model it is since the previous owner set this up. No cat converter either and it's 2 1/4 all the way (I think). With a .010 bore, High Output 4.0L cam, and forged piston it sounds awesome at idle, very eight-ish but at 2000 and on the highway it sounds like a vacuum cleaner, bleeding ears style. I've been wanting to try some dual outlets or other mufflers and flex pipes I just don't have the time or money to mess around at the moment.

Here's a link to some videos on JP magazine of exhaust sounds on a wrangler with several different brands of mufflers. In these the Gibson is by far the loudest of the ones tested here. Scroll down a bit when the page loads and you will see the wrangler exhaust shoot out videos. There are more on the next page too.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/video/page3.html

Later,

Larry