Motor/Trans/Tcase Question

then it'll bolt up. :thumbsup: I know you'll need the trans wire harness. hopefully someone more knowledgeable will provide specifics.

but be prepared that the auto trans is notorious for sapping what little power the 2.5 can muster. there's a reason why Jeep killed it off while the rest of the country was killing off the manual transmission.

hmm, maybe ill make an attempt at finding the dakota bell or another manual. I want it to be as little work as possible and I'm not in a hurry to do it. Just want to get the parts all together.

I know that they came behind the 4.0 Just wasnt sure what all I would I would need to make that swap.

AX-5s should be easy to find. any 2.5 from 84-whenever they died, on any MJ/XJ/TJ/YJ will work. try car-part.com and be sure to search for various years of the various models. there are slight changes hear and there that might change the part number (car-part only searches by part number) but any year will work. :thumbsup:

About a month ago I went to all 4 Pull-a-Parts in Ohio for some small parts (and went back to the Cleveland West one for a Ford D60 two days later). I came across a Dakota with the holy grail of bell housings I believe in the Canton one.

If not for blowing my money on the D60 I would have got it for a future upgrade to the Purple People Eater. It might still be there.

About a month ago I went to all 4 Pull-a-Parts in Ohio for some small parts (and went back to the Cleveland West one for a Ford D60 two days later). I came across a Dakota with the holy grail of bell housings I believe in the Canton one.

If not for blowing my money on the D60 I would have got it for a future upgrade to the Purple People Eater. It might still be there.

Nice! I was looking on car part the other day for them. I'd have to call and make sure try were the right ones.

Did you buy a front or rear d60?

I have two rears in my garage. :/

After I got the $34.64 core charge back for a mostly complete YJ front axle I put together out of my scrap metal pile it came out to less than $200 including tax, environmental fee and admission into the yard. It'll be a while before it goes under the truck, though. Need to get or make a bunch of brackets, call in a few favors to a buddy who's a certified welder with a large enough welder to handle welding 1/4 steel to those (1/2" diameter?) tubes, get a matching rear axle (easy to find) and throw some new perches an spring mounts on, and then the big expense: 16" or larger rims to clear the brakes, which will also mean new tires as my current wheels are 15". Think I'll go with Humvee double beadlocks with PVC inserts, used military tires (17x12.50R16.5) with minimum 75% tread left and rewelded centers to fix the 9" (ack!) backspacing. That will come out to $300 per wheel or $1500 total.