Ok i was at my friends house a few months ago and he found a Cb antenna and base in his basement. i remembered that i had a hole drilled in my roof allready for a cb from the previous owner. So we got a crappy cb he had in his room and hooked it all up. With my luck, of course it didnt work. So i went out and bought the cobra 40 channel cb. I hooked it up to the antenna and got it working. I still couldnt get anything thorugh the radio, but the PA worked so i know it was hooked up right. I then ordered a new antenna on ebay, and that didnt work either. So right now I'm working with a brand new cb and antenna, but an old base. Could that be my problem? i really don't know much about the cbs but i think it would be cool to have. also i wanted to ad that i looked into a new base but all i oculd find were magnetic ones. i really want to go with the ones that you have mount with a bolt only because i want to use that whole and make sure its sealed to prevent more leaks. So after reading my whole story i might have gotten you confused, here's my questions:

1. Would a new base solve my problem

2. Why isnt this working form what i have

3. What would you recomend for a base/antenna

4. Please cue me in on more information lol

Thanks for you help albert III

It could either be your base or the coax going to the base. Un hok the connector in the back of the cb and using a multimeter check the center pin to the outside of the connector to see if it is shorted. if it is not then check the resistance from the center pin to the base. to me it sounds as if you are not getting the rf signal o the antenna. let me know if this works. any mor questions, PM me radios are my hobbie.

Okay, I think I am getting this right.

You have a new radio, and a new antenna, but your problem is the mount.

If you are close to an interstate, take a ride to a truckstop. They will have everything you need.

The mounting you are looking for is commonly called a 'gumdrop' mount. Most take a 3/4(or barely larger) hole through the roof. There will be a gasket for your roof in the kit.

Answers to your questions:

1. Maybe, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. But without actually physically seeing it, I can't answer.

2. See number 1

3. The gumdrop mount realistically is nothing more than a plastic housing with a connector and screw mount. Also see below.

4. Feel free to ask any questions. I have been fooling with radios for 20 years. I worked in the industry for two years in college. One thing, I will ABSOLUTELY NOT give you any advice regarding illegal equipment or operation.

I wanted to seperate this because of its importance.

Your antenna is BY FAR MORE IMPORTANT than the radio. Always get the absolutely best quality antenna that you can afford. Wilson, Firestick, and K-40 all make good antennas.

Second, your feedline(coax) is important. Bad or mismatched feedline can damage your radio very quickly.

Both of these reasons are why I recommend going to a truckstop, or like place and getting your stuff. I saw an auction of Ebay, for the the wrong kind of feedline advertised as 'CB-ready'. It was cable TV coax. Plus, you can purchase coax with with preconnected ends. Soldering ends on coax isn't hard, but if you do it wrong bad consequences ensue.

Any more questions PM here, or post up. I will answer when I have a chance.