Carpet Paint/Dye

Pretty self explanatory, but figured I'd post up some pictures with some of my initial positive results. Good condition OEM carpet is hard to come by and I didn't feel like messing around with aftermarket carpet - I've installed those before on other cars and it's never fun.

So, pull your carpet, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, light shampoo to get stains out. No amount of cleaning was going to get the faded carpet out:

So, I bought three cans of this stuff (roughly $25 shipped):

1.75 cans later:

Closeup:

Waiting on it to dry and going to use the rest of the second can for touch up. Hope to have the carpet installed again by the end of the week. I will update this thread with more pictures and keep you informed on how this holds up. So far, it looks 2X better for about a third of the cost of and a quarter of the effort of getting a new aftermarket carpet.

• 4 weeks later...

Thus far, it has passed the sun test. I wasn't able to get the carpet in before I went on vacation for a week, so it sat on my side porch baking in the hot sun. Got home and realized I had forgot to put it in my shop and figured it would have been all kinds of messed up since we had lots of rain, too. Much to my surprise it looked the same as when I left it. I still haven't gotten it in the truck since I decided that with the interior apart, now was as good a time as any to tackle the water leaks that likely contributed to the discoloration of the carpet in the first place.

I'm impressed with the paint so far, but the real test will be getting some traffic on the carpet to see how well the color holds up. I'll keep this thread updated.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/24/2018 at 12:07 PM, NC Tom said:

Any long-term updates to this old thread?

Sorry didn't see this until now. 

I'll start out by stating that my MJ isn't my daily driver and it doesn't see a whole lot of action ever since my son was born - the MJ bench doesn't pass the Mom seal of approval for child seats.  As such, the amount of foot traffic the carpet has encountered has been very minimal compared to what most MJs on here likely receive.  My MJ does get plenty of time in the sun, however, and I haven't noticed much in terms of color fade.  The only area of the carpet that no longer looks uniform in color is the passenger footwell, but that is due to an on-going water leak that has been repaired several times, but always finds a way to resurface.

Overall I think the Duplicolor fabric spray paint has exceeded my expectations.

On 4/3/2018 at 9:02 PM, terrawombat said:

Sorry didn't see this until now. 

I'll start out by stating that my MJ isn't my daily driver and it doesn't see a whole lot of action ever since my son was born - the MJ bench doesn't pass the Mom seal of approval for child seats.  As such, the amount of foot traffic the carpet has encountered has been very minimal compared to what most MJs on here likely receive.  My MJ does get plenty of time in the sun, however, and I haven't noticed much in terms of color fade.  The only area of the carpet that no longer looks uniform in color is the passenger footwell, but that is due to an on-going water leak that has been repaired several times, but always finds a way to resurface.

Overall I think the Duplicolor fabric spray paint has exceeded my expectations.

Cool, thanks!

Can't say anything about the MJ bench. I'm a pre-childseat guy. My Mom used to just lay me in a clothes hamper and set me on the back seat of our 66 Barracuda!

On 4/6/2018 at 12:10 PM, NC Tom said:

Cool, thanks!

Can't say anything about the MJ bench. I'm a pre-childseat guy. My Mom used to just lay me in a clothes hamper and set me on the back seat of our 66 Barracuda!

Ha!  When I was a toddler the childseat seat movement was really gaining steam and there was all kinds of whacky designs coming out that made some bold safety claims.

I have a 1.5 year old myself so childseats are now mandatory or else I'm essentially considered a child murderer.  Sometime in the early 2000's the auto industry adopted a standard known as LATCH.  It requires that rear seats have a specific mounting bracket for fastening in childseats.  By my wife's orders if a vehicle does not have the LATCH system then our son is not allowed to ride in that vehicle.  These are decisions above my pay grade...