Transfer Case - 2.5 Options

Looking into getting a 242 transfer case to store until I get around to adding 4x4 to my truck. Currently have a 2.5 / AX4 / D35 combo, and was looking to find out what tranny is easiest to swap to when adding a T-Case.

This is of course if I cannot locate another 2.5 AX4 / 4x4 combo to get parts from. I'm going to upgrade the rear end as well. Most likely with a Chryco 8.25 since I doubt I'll be able to score a D44 for a decent price. With this being said, is it possible that I can still achieve my goal of having 4.10s for a gear ratio?

Also, what Spline count should I be looking for here? I've heard later 8.25s were stronger, but really know nothing about the 8.25. Time to do some researching I guess. :typing:

Any AX-4 or AX-5 will go right in. they are all 21 spline outputs, so your t-case will need to be that also. if you want a 242 then you'll need an early one, 87-90ish, because after that they were all 23 spline.

the spline counts for 8.25s are 27 and 29. 29 spline are found in 97+ XJs (along side the dana 35, so look before buying). don't know how many 8.35s came in 4.10 gears, but I would start with car-part.com :thumbsup:

Any AX-4 or AX-5 will go right in. they are all 21 spline outputs, so your t-case will need to be that also. if you want a 242 then you'll need an early one, 87-90ish, because after that they were all 23 spline.

the spline counts for 8.25s are 27 and 29. 29 spline are found in 97+ XJs (along side the dana 35, so look before buying). don't know how many 8.35s came in 4.10 gears, but I would start with car-part.com :thumbsup:

Thanks Pete. You saved me a lot of headaches and worrying down the line. :cheers: :thumbsup: