Gas gauge acting up

Gas gauge going past full mark ( milage indicates it should be at the 1/4 mark ) then recovers back about 1/2 . I think it's probably a ground problem because the needle fluxuates in time with the turn signals/ brakes when turned on . Am I correct that the ground is the one behind the left tail light ? Are there other connections I should be checking ? :dunno:

Nope. That pretty well covers it. There's also a ground for the instrument panel. gauges, and dash. Left hand side under dash but that's not likely the problem or the rest of the instruments and dash lights would also be goofy.

Ground seemed OK , but re-cleaned it again . I'll have to pull the loom apart (gauge goes back to normal if I wiggle the loom ) to find where the weak wire/insulation may be shorting out ? :hmm: Well after 22 yrs. the wiring might be a tad worn :shake:

damn i have a MJ at the shop with same trouble ...so what the moo is going on ????..... voltage not stable ???

I found cracked insulation in a few places , temporarily taped it up but plan to replace/fabricate new loom for the entire cab to tail lights section . The wire is really brittle in a number of places so all new with a 10ga. jumper ground back to the battery will be included in the re-fit . I hate doing electrical work :headpop: