Accessory position

So recently I replaced my ignition switch and learned that the actual switch it's self has an accessory position. Has anybody modified their key cylinder to allow the accessory position to function?

Maybe mines a freak and everyone else has an accessory position already.

The MJ has always had an accessory position. To turn it on, start with the key in the locked position. Push the key IN toward the steering column, then turn counterclockwise (top toward the driver).

The MJ has always had an accessory position. To turn it on, start with the key in the locked position. Push the key IN toward the steering column, then turn counterclockwise (top toward the driver).

I have an 89 with a tilt wheel and there's no way you can turn it past the point when the key will remove whether you push in or pull out or just twist.

I feel like a moron now... I never knew I had an accessory function. My previous ignition switch must have been way out of adjustment or had significant issues. I remember trying all sorts of things to get to an accessory position. and nothing. With the new switch installed i can get the accessory position on, but it must be slightly out of alignment as I can't just turn the key from accessory to lock to turn everything off i have to go past then come back.