renix question

I want to start by I diss search before posting this question so if by chance I didn't type the correct key words and this question has been answered else where I apologize if you would please point me in the right direction I will be on way.

question

When referring to arenix comanche, it is the electronic system not the mechanical, so is it possible to upgrade the electronics, censors, ext to the on a motor to the modern chrysler electronics.

I'm looking to do the 97+ conversion and want to upgrade the interior if I were to find one with a blown motor I may want to use my stock motor which has low miles.

Thank you for any help

I want to start by I diss search before posting this question so if by chance I didn't type the correct key words and this question has been answered else where I apologize if you would please point me in the right direction I will be on way.

question

When referring to arenix comanche, it is the electronic system not the mechanical, so is it possible to upgrade the electronics, censors, ext to the on a motor to the modern chrysler electronics.

I'm looking to do the 97+ conversion and want to upgrade the interior if I were to find one with a blown motor I may want to use my stock motor which has low miles.

Thank you for any help

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1239

Read rule #2.

Renix is the electronic injection system. I believe the engine has all the ports for the newer sensors, but I'm not positive on that. If you want to go to the Chrysler injection system, you're going to have to replace everything. Dash harness, engine bay harness, dash gauge cluster, fuel sending unit and pump, and somehow splice your existing taillight wiring into it.

Also by 97 Chrysler had moved to a fuel rail without a return line back to the tank. This style sending unit that can accept a Chrysler pump never existed for the Comanche, so you will have to get an aftermarket gas tank without the pan in the bottom to be able to fit the Cherokee unit.

If it's automatic transmission, you will also not only need to replace the transmission harness, but also the transmission itself as the older transmissions lack some sensors needed by the newer computer. I doubt a Renix TCU can talk to Chrysler sensors, and I believe by 97 the TCU had become part of the ECU, but not sure on that.

Low miles or not, to go to the newer electronic I would do a full swap engine and all.

It's the ignition and injection system. They work together.

You can change a Renix engine to the newer Chrysler system. In fact, Jeep used to sell a kit to convert the older carbureted 4.2L Wranglers to Chrysler EFI, so there's no reason you couldn't do the same thing on a Renix engine. But you'll have a lot of adapting to do.

For example, the throttle bodies are different so you would either have to change the intake manifold, or adapt a Chrysler throttle body to the Renix manifold, or adapt the Chrysler sensors to the Renix throttle body. The tooth pattern on the flywheel is different because the CPS is different, so you would have to put a newer Chrysler flywheel/flex plate on your Renix engine and use the newer style CPS.

Anything can be done if you're prepared to throw enough time, money and effort at it ...