Comanche trailer build

So I got a parts truck for the tailgate and doors and am thinking of making a trailer from the bed and back half of frame. Would using an adjustable towbar work for a tongue?

L12354560.jpg

The problem I foresee is the towbars ability to rock up and down with only 2 wheels behind it. Would this be a problem? Couldn't I just weld (or have someone who can) the swivel part fixed at the correct angle? Have a plate welded across the frame for the contact points, probably enough extra frame to get a tool box up there too. Found one rated 5000 lbs on eBay for 65.99 w free shipping.

Thanks guys,

REALLY bad idea using that tow bar. It's not designed for any tongue weight, just straight pull. And, the tow bar's length is pretty short.

There are a couple of trailer build threads on this site, do some searching to see what you might be able to copy.

Mine was made using the MJ rear "frame" and a boat trailer tongue section I cut from a trailer at a junk yard for $70.

I'm trying to put as little money into this as possible, I searched for old boat trailers on CL but the cheapest were about 300, noticed you got yours from a scrap yard, didn't think they'd have trailers there, I'll have to check on that. I don't have the equipment or knowledge to weld, not saying I wouldn't love to learn, but for this I'll have to pay someone else to do it. It's a kinda long term project, just got the parts truck this past weekend and haven't even started pulling parts yet so I've got some time to get a good plan together, which is why I was asking. Thanks for keeping me from screwing this up and\or wasting the money on the tow bar.

By the way, do you know about what yours weighs? This may end up also being pulled by the wifes Suby.

I don't see the point....

Make yourself a real trailer tongue with a quality coupler.

... good quality frame for that matter.

check.

If you are going to do this project, do it right. Me and all others on the road will be safer.