carrier removal/axle seals

Hey guys, ferkocked the drivers side axle seal in my haste to get on a new unit bearing. Two questions:

Carrier is sticking from passenger side. Removed outer shaft, slid coupling ring off, can't get inner passenger shaft to slide out any...wth?

Also, when I get the carrier off, is it necessary to install the new seal with all those extensions from the passenger side, or is there another means of getting it in through the pumpkin?

Thanks a ton...grrrr

Tom

Also, when I get the carrier off, is it necessary to install the new seal with all those extensions from the passenger side, or is there another means of getting it in through the pumpkin?

I'm going to edit this to ask: Does anyone with the FSM handy know the OEM Chrysler # for the axle seal installer tool? I have a friend in the biz who might be able to get me one.

Thanks!

Tom

I'm going to edit this to ask: Does anyone with the FSM handy know the OEM Chrysler # for the axle seal installer tool? I have a friend in the biz who might be able to get me one.

Thanks!

Tom

I'm not sure this is the one you're looking for but the FSM under "Front Axle" lists tool #J-34659 as "Axle Tube Bearing and Seal Removal/Installer" :dunno:

Hey guys,

A little stuck here, maybe someone could help me out? Got the seal out and reinstalled, no problem. I torqued down the bearing cap bolts, and couldn't get the axle shafts to slide in. Over torqued them a little, and the drivers side went in. Still can't get the intermediate passenger shaft to go in, despite over torquing and tapping.

Should I just keep tightening and tapping or is something wrong here?

Thanks...bout ready to pack it in for the night and hate leaving it this way...again! :-/