A/C question

Hypothetically, speaking if i were to completely disconnect my a/c compressor and condenser and remove it from the engine bay, what would i have to do to get my a/c running again?

Would it be as simple as bolting everything back on again, pulling a vacuum on it and recharging the freon? or would i have to get a whole new system because i let air into it???

remember strictly "hypothetically"

thanks

also, i know that my system calls for R12, (very hard to find, more expensive) what do i have to replace to make the switch over to R-134a?

thanks again

You think i can get the stuff for a conversion at a parts store?

I might have to get a new compressor while i'm at it, mine likes to squeal on start up and when i let the rpms drop below 1000. Hoses are in ruff shape too, i don't think there are any leaks, its just the fittings are darn near rusted through and some of the hoses are flaking from rust pretty severly.

Its funny though, cause even with all that it still blows pretty darn cold. :rotfl2:

You think i can get the stuff for a conversion at a parts store?

I might have to get a new compressor while i'm at it, mine likes to squeal on start up and when i let the rpms drop below 1000. Hoses are in ruff shape too, i don't think there are any leaks, its just the fittings are darn near rusted through and some of the hoses are flaking from rust pretty severly.

Its funny though, cause even with all that it still blows pretty darn cold.

When you recharge the system you will have to research what oil you have to use, as they are are not all compatible. In my experience r12 is vastly superior to r134, so I would continue to use the r12 system as long as possible. And just plan to purchase the whole system when it goes bad. Air in the system will make it go bad fast (been there). Hope I helped.

well ya see, about 7 er 8 months ago when i had the truck in florida, i had it taken to a shop where they recharged the system. From what i can rememeber they did nothing about the r12 that was still in the system, they just topped it off with the r134a, using their specail gauges to make sure not to overfill it. I know I know r12 + 134a = :thwak: , and i guess i am paying for my stupidity now. :doh:

P.S. why can't the evaporator just be purged before recharge? What is inside that would be damaged just by ambiant air? I thought it was just a fancy type of radiator?

thanks, and all posts are helpful :thumbsup:

The biggest issue is that the oil used with R12 is not compatible with the oil used in an R134a system. The usual recommendation if you want to do it really right is to replace the drier and drain the old oil out of the compressor. Then you simply recharge with R134a that has the correct oil in it.

However ... the folks who make the conversion kits have some kind of special oil or oil additive that allows you to just evacuate the old R12, pull a vacuum, and recharge using their R134a with the special oil. A friend (retired Jeep service manager) tells me he has done at least fifty of these conversions and never had a problem.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 13609_0_0_

• 1 month later...

And now that the heat of summer is approaching, it's time for me to install one of those conversion kits such as I showed the image of. I have never worked on an automotive a/c. I know that with the R134a systems the low pressure side gets a small port connector and the high pressure side gets the large port connector. For an '88 XJ or MJ with the factory system, which is the high side and which is the low side?