XJ Skid Question

Eagle

I think I remember reading that the gas tank skid for a ZJ Grand Cherokee will also fit the 97 and newer XJs with the plastic gas tanks.

Can anyone tell me for sure if this is correct, or if I'm imagining things?

Thanks

Well, an aftermarket skid that fits both is a good start, but I'm really interested in the factory skids. Does anyone know if the FACTORY ZJ gas tank skid will also fit the 97+ XJ?

Thanks, Alexia.

Well, an aftermarket skid that fits both is a good start, but I'm really interested in the factory skids. Does anyone know if the FACTORY ZJ gas tank skid will also fit the 97+ XJ?

Thanks, Alexia.

Yes, the factory skid will work. My understanding is that there may be a couple mounting flanges that may need to be trimmed depending on the year of the ZJ and XJ.

I believe by 'skid plate' you're referring to a metal plate that bolts to the frame. I have 4 ZJ'S and 3 XJ'S. None of them has a metal skid plate. They did have a plastic cover that fit between the tank and the holding straps. It was different and will not interchange.

A factory ZJ skid with fit on the 97+ XJ's, HOWEVER you will need to drill several new holes in the skid plate to fit it onto the XJ's factory mounting holes (inside the frame rail). If I remember correctly I believe only 1 of the holes on the ZJ skid lines up, the rest will need drilled.

A factory ZJ skid with fit on the 97+ XJ's, HOWEVER you will need to drill several new holes in the skid plate to fit it onto the XJ's factory mounting holes (inside the frame rail). If I remember correctly I believe only 1 of the holes on the ZJ skid lines up, the rest will need drilled.

Cool -- drills I have. And I have a spare set of the nut plate frame inserts.

Just need to find a skid. No u-pulls in Connecticut, so I guess I'm off to the Classifieds. Thanks, folks.

Jim, you are correct -- I'm looking for the steel skid plate, not the plastic gravel shield.