Hazard and brake lights

So for whatever reason my hazard lights stop blinking when I step on the breaks. I need to replace the e-brake cable so I can't use that. So if I pulled over to help someone on the side of the road I can't just stop I would have to shut it off. So I checked all the bulbs and did replace a few of them. What's shorting out or not grounded properly or what's going on? Anyone else have this same problem? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

The brake light switch is wired into the same harness as the turn signal switch connector on the steering column, I'd look there for starters.

I don't have the link on hand, another member might, but the electrical manual for '88s is available online. The wiring is largely the same between years but it should give you a good idea of where to look

With the MJ this IS NORMAL operation. if you study the wiring diagrams both the brake and hazard circuits operate through the same wiring, the turn signals however operate on a seperate circuit. This is also 1 of the reasons its difficult to adapt an XJ wiring harness to the MJ. I'm sure theres some more info behind it but i wanted to let you know theres nothing wrong with your MJ before you go tearing all through it ;)

so just to reiterate, Hazards stop flashing with foot in on the brake. No problem, thats just how the MJ is.

Well, Thats good to know, I just thought it was a bad ground or something. Gonna have to replace my e-brake cables then!

Thank you!