What is the correct way to hook up an electric fan?

Basically the question is in the title. What is the correct way to hook up the electric fan on my 89 MJ. The Po has it hooked up where it comes on with the key turn :dunno: . I know my previous mj wasn't like this :no: . I was just wondering what the correct way would be :smart: ? Along with which way is actually better. Thanks in advance. comanche.gif

The electric fan wiring on the 89

there is a fuseable link off the terminals near the battery. This 12 volt runs across the front of the truck in the loom behind the grill. It then connects to a relay on the drivers side fender (30). connection 87 then goes to the fan's positive. the neg of the fan goes to a ground.

now the control of the of the relay runs off the ign accessory 12 volt... i think it's a yellow wire in the loom. it feeds off of this goes to the thermostat that is in the radiator. then comes off of that goes into an orange if/than block then goes to the relay (85) and connection 86 is connected to ground.

it sounds like he may have bypassed the thermostat. or...

on the orange block (1/2" square at best) there are three wires... one comes from the thermostat as stated above, one goes to the relay, and the other goes to the air condition circut (if ac is on fan is on). what it does is it works like and if/than switch and prevents back feed.

I pulled this setup from an xj as mine didnt' come with an electric fan or ac. so i used the ac input off the orange block and wired it to a switch in the cab. so i could turn the fan on manually when I wanted, but it also would come one auto with temp sensor. I powered this switch in the cab with a small capacitor and diodes off of the ign switch so when i turn off the key and have the fan switch on it will still run the fan for about 25 seconds.