This baby has the original AMC 360 in it, with a new Holly 4 bbl carb. that was put in within the last 200 miles. It does have 4x4, and still works like a charm from what he's told me. Gas tank leaked when he first bought it, but had it patched up. It's spent it's entire life in the south, and has the surface rust to prove it, but nothing too serious. I took it upon myself to look at the frame and rails, and they all get the thumbs up (just road dust). It does need engine work (barely idles) but the motor sounds strong for it's age and mileage (133k according to the odo.) it's also an automatic (TorqueFlite 727) and the tranny needs some adjustment (has a few second delay from when you put the shifter into gear, until you actually hear it shift into gear) Aside from that, the interior is in pretty decent shape (just needs a cleaning), and everything works as it should (except the gas gauge. The fuel sender does work though, just not the actual gauge). It also has 4 new tires on it with minimal wear, and custom front and rear bumpers that just need to be sanded and painted. Aside from that, it's a tough sounding, good looking truck.

That's basically it. After chatting a while, he told me he'd like to get at least $2000 for it, due to the tires, bumper work, carb, and various other little things he's done to it. I figure I'd help him out, even if it is out of my price range. So, to whoever's reading this and may be interested, PM me for his number if you are.

If it is an auto it had an AMC-patterned 727 from the factory not a TH400 ( the last year for the TH400 was '79). It looks to have lock-outs which probably means a 208 part-time transfer case. If it is a full-time 4x4, it has a 228/9 and the lock-outs were added later. IIRC the rear D44 did not return until '86 so unless it is very late '85 the rear axle should be an AMC Model 23, a heavier duty version of the M20 found under CJ's. The rear diff cover will look like half of a basketball. The front would be a D44.

If you talk to him again his tranny issues is probably that he does not have the kick-down linkage for the replacement carb to the tranny adjusted correctly. If he has driven it much like this the tranny is probably smoked. If he catches it in time he can adjust it correctly and be fine.

$2,000 is pretty optimistic, IMHO.