Head gasket or...?

zak

Checked oil today and it had a milky color mixed in with the oil on the dipstick. From what I’ve read sounds like it should be the head gasket or possibly a a blocked scavenger hose? No white smoke from the tail pipe, isn’t over heating (as long as my gages are actually working right, but my oil pressure gage tends to go haywire every now and then, and the gas gage doesn’t work above 3/4 of a tank.)

I’m due for an oil change by the end of the week. Plan on changing and checking new oil everyday for signs of more moisture.

Any ideas of whats most likely the problem before I start taking the engine apart to replace gaskets?

Thanks in advance.

Here’s one of the sources I checked out. Not really aimed towards Jeep’s but seemed to be helpful http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Head gasket or cracked head. I just went through swapping out my engine because I didn't realize I had the same problem and kept running it. Ended up destroying the engine running coolant through it.

IMO, your best bet is to pull the head, check for cracks, and replace the gasket. Hopefully, it's just the gasket. Good luck! :cheers:

hold off a sec! if you don't drive it much/for long distances, especially in cold weather, the motor won't fully heat up and condensation will form in the dipstick and in the top of the valve cover. so you may or may not have a problem. got any pics? it also may be worth getting access to a pressure tester for the cooling system, or doing cylinder block leak test like this kit: Part# 700-1006 at NAPA for about $50 or less, also can be had at autozone, Combustion%20Leak%20Test%20Kit.jpg

Gonna try this kit before I go taking stuff apart. Its my daily driver so I need it to get to work. Also forgot to mention that's its always low on coolant, but never falls below a certain point so I always figured a crack in the plastic but never can find any evidence in the engine compartment (or the inside of the truck had the carpet up last week). If it happens to be the gasket. Has anyone had better or worse luck with certain brands?

Checked oil again today and there wasn’t as much “milk” on the dipstick as yesterday couldn’t even get a good picture of it to post. Also bought the leak test kit and it’s saying there’s no leak or crack in the block. Should I be alright with an oil change and keeping an eye on it?