Short Throw Shifter

I believe the way these shifters work is by raising (+Z) the rotation axis so that the arm length below the pivot is increased and the arm length above the pivot is decreased. Seems the X and Y shouldn't change. What I'm wondering is whether the bolt-up is the same, whether the internal engagement is the same, and whether it fits within the original boots. I've made an inquiry to the source (no answer yet), but curious if anyone else has tried this item. I'll post back if I I learn any more.

On a stock YJ the shifter is further forward than in the MJ/XJ. Installing a stock YJ shifter will cause it to sit against the dashboard in 1st, 3rd and 5th.

No it won't.

My '88 MJ has a YJ AX-15 in it, complete with the long, straight shift handle and the YJ transfer case shifter (which the previous owner had to saw the knob off to clear the dashboard -- which may be the cause of the confusion). The transmission shifter is fine even with the taller, straighter YJ handle, and would be perfect with an XJ/MH handle. There is no interference with the dashboard.

I hate to disagree, but my 87 2.5 runs a YJ AX5 (and the YJ transfer case shifter and linkage). The transfer case shifter is ok, but it looks like the previous owner cut a section out of the shaft to make it shorter. The stock YJ transmission shifter hits my dash in all odd gears.

I hate to disagree, but my 87 2.5 runs a YJ AX5 (and the YJ transfer case shifter and linkage). The transfer case shifter is ok, but it looks like the previous owner cut a section out of the shaft to make it shorter. The stock YJ transmission shifter hits my dash in all odd gears.

But the question was about an AX-15, which goes behind a 4.0L. That's what is in my '88 MJ and there is no interference with the dashboard in any gear.

Thanks! I'm not locked onto any particular brand, but I want high quality, I want good fit in the original boots, and I want the OEM shift knob to remain. Hurst has been around for quite some time and is known for good stuff.