1986 mj transmission questions

Hi, i'm in need of some advice. My transmission started leaking out of the front seal while my girlfriend was driving it. I would have just replaced the seal but she continued to drive it home. It would only go about five mph at open throttle so I know the transmission was very low if not empty. I would rather replace the transmission instead of rebuilding it due to cost. My question is would the aw4 be a direct swap for my tourque flight 904? I searched the forum but didnt find a deffinate answer or someone who had done it in the past. Thanks in advance.

Yeah good luck finding one for a decent price. I'm in the same boat. Going to rebuild mine.

As long as your gears inside are fine, you can get a rebuild kit (seals, bearings, syncros and gaskets) for a couple hundred bucks. Or just replace the parts that are bad if the damage is light which is what I'm doing.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-trans ... x4-ax5.htm

The A904 isnt a bad trans. Its not quite as good as an AW4, but it isnt bad. It is a smaller version of the TF-727 from Chrysler. There are a couple of upgrades to do if you decide to rebuild. If you do some searches youll come with a lot of different stuff for this family of trans. I think one of the upgrades has to do with a 2-3 shift overlap. A rebuild kit is relatively cheap if you are up to doing it yourself. I have one in an 86 Waggy parts vehicle that I want to rebuild for my other Comanche. Its a relatively simple trans, and as much as I fear rebuilding an auto trans, I would tackle one of these with some confidence. This might be a better alternative than trying to find a 2.5 AW4. Good luck.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/727transmission.htm

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/auto.html

I work at a transmission shop in town here, we had a fellow come in with an AMC Eagle that tried to rebuild his 904..... Well, lets just say he had to come in and have us rebuild it. If you are going to tackle it, make sure you prime the pump, and fill the torque converter with fluid... 2 very costly mistakes if forgotten. You can also order stronger drums and wider bands from Transtar (thats the company we use for parts) if you decide to rebuild yourself. Theres also several critical steps in adjusting the bands that you must be aware of upon re-assembly. Having the bands too tight or too loose will cause extreme pre-mature damage to the tranny. Anyway, good luck to you! might be a good idea to just take the tranny out and bring it to a shop to rebuild it. :cheers: